[SOLVED] Windows Install freezes with error and green horizontal lines

Nov 17, 2021
Windows Install freezes with error and green horizontal lines. Occurred out of the blue after working fine 12 hours before. My system:
Mobo: Asus ROG Strix Z390-E
CPU: Intel i7-9700k
GPU: Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 2070
DDR4: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32gb
PSU: EVGA 650 G2. Gold
Aio: NZXT Kraken X63

Disconnecting GPU, formatting drives, and reseating RAM doesn’t help. Noticed that PC only goes to bios ~50% of the time, MOBO lights go from red, to orange, to white when it goes to bios, no lights at all when it doesn’t.
Also noticed that ram is for “AMD Ryzen” but was told it doesn’t matter.

Photo and vid of issue: View: https://imgur.com/a/Z15GXz0

Solution
Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors. Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it

if its not ram I would contact Asus as that isn't normal... I feel thats obvious.

Guess it could be CPU as well.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors. Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it

if its not ram I would contact Asus as that isn't normal... I feel thats obvious.

Guess it could be CPU as well.

Solution