Windows Installation cannot see hdd

jdogg85

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012
Hello all,

I have just finished getting my new computer setup and have been stuck on getting the OS installed. I am installing windows 7 professional and have a gigabyte ga-z77x-ud5h along with a seagate barracuda 1 tb hdd. The mb bios recognizes the drive and i have it setup as an ahci, but windows installation will not recognize a hdd. I searched for my mb on gigabyte's site and downloaded the newest sata driver and loaded it into the windows setup, but the hdd is still was not recognized. I've also slaved the hdd to my laptop to make sure it is working property and i can see it within the windows as an external drive. Any ideas what I can do next? Since i am using just one hdd is there a certain sata port i should have the hdd plugged into? I have tried the raid 1 and 0 ports and still nothing. The computer looks so nice, but this is making me want to bang my head on the desk.

any help will be appreciated.

thanks

Solution
same issue same mobo here for me last week, and here is what i did.

burn gpart to cd
boot to gpart cd
repair uuid and format the HD with gpart

I tried everything else to gpart was the only thing that worked.

austing

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012
Sata ports do not matter, what matters is the format of the drive.

When you go to the install portion of the Windows 7 installation, try and format the drive. (Even if it does not show up, it may once you select "format.")

jdogg85

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012
Tried.that.as well and.still no dice. Could I be loading the incorrect driver when installing windows?I chose the newest data driver for the mb and it seems to to install it but no HDD on refresh.

jdogg85

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012
any idea what setting could cause this? the sata ports are enabled and the hdd is set to ahci. Not sure what else would cause it other than a bad hdd possibly.

check that you have the hard drive on the intel 6g or 3g sata ports some mb have 3 party chipset. in the bios make sure the sata ports are not set to raid. windows wont install itself unless if can partion the hard drive. it there a partion on the drive or ssd use advance mode in the install and delete all the partion. then reboot and let windows make the two it needs. the small system restore and the data partion.

daship

Distinguished
same issue same mobo here for me last week, and here is what i did.

burn gpart to cd
boot to gpart cd
repair uuid and format the HD with gpart

I tried everything else to gpart was the only thing that worked.

Solution