Question Windows installation not starting

daPain58

Proper
Sep 30, 2019
I built a system in 2014 that had Windows 7 running in Legacy BIOS mode. After a few years I upgraded it To Windows 10 with UEFI BIOS mode, then I downgraded again to Windows 7 in 2018. Now I tried to install Windows 7 OFF A USB DEVICE, and it fails to install. I get an error message "0xc0000225".When I created the Windows 7 installation media with Rufus, it said that I have to disable Secure boot to use UEFI:NTFS boot. But I didnt find any option foe it. So I changed it to Fat32 UEFI but Windows wouldn't still install, I get the same error message. I tried to boot the flash drive in my new pc and it works flawlessly in both NTFS and Fat32. I HAD ANOTHER WINDOWS 10 USB IN UEFI:NTFS THAT WORKED IN THE PC I WAS HAVING TROUBLE.
So I want to know why is the error message appearing

Note: (i) My old PC was downgraded to Windows 7 Legacy BIOS in 2018. So I think secure boot was off as I read somewhere that Secure Boot is available in UEFI only

(ii) When I upgraded to Windows 10 I used UEFI NTFS so I can tell the PC supports UEFI

Sent from my CPH1729 using Tapatalk

Colif

Win 11 Master
So Win 10 installer works fine but WIn 7 one gives the error?

Have you tried formatting the drive so its only unallocated space?

try this and see if it installs better onto a blank drive:
Boot from Win 10 installer
On screen after language choice, pick repair pc, not install
Pick troubleshoot
Pick advanced
Pick Command Prompt
Type diskpart and press enter
Type list disk and press enter
This will show the list of drives currently attached to PC, make note of the drive number of the drive you want to wipe

If Disk 1 is the drive you want to clear, type select 1) and press enter. A message will confirm it is selected

Warning: Diskpart Erase/Clean will permanently erase/destroy all data on the selected drive. Please be certain that you are erasing the correct disk.

Once you sure its right disk, type Clean and press enter

The Command Prompt window will display the message "DiskPart succeeded in cleaning the disk". Close out of the Command Prompt window by clicking the red X in the upper right hand corner.

What motherboard do you have? how old are hard drives?

(i) My old PC was downgraded to Windows 7 Legacy BIOS in 2018.
did you physically flash the bios back to an older version or do you just mean its using Legacy boot method now??

Fact it has a legacy choice tells me its a UEFI Bios. Any PC made before 2009 only had one choice of BIOS. IN the period 2006-2009 a group of hardware makers got together and created a replacement for what would become known as Legacy, but what was at time the only choice. Almost all BIOS since 2009 have been UEFI bios, allowing people to use GPT instead of MBR and have hard drives way bigger than 2.,2tb, among other new features like knowing what the mouse does. Your UEFI bios can emulate BIOS functions as it is backwards compatible.

https://superuser.com/questions/760828/0xc0000225-error-on-windows-installation-to-gpt-uefi

Last edited:

daPain58

Proper
Sep 30, 2019
So Win 10 installer works fine but WIn 7 one gives the error?

Have you tried formatting the drive so its only unallocated space?

try this and see if it installs better onto a blank drive:
Boot from Win 10 installer
On screen after language choice, pick repair pc, not install
Pick troubleshoot
Pick advanced
Pick Command Prompt
Type diskpart and press enter
Type list disk and press enter
This will show the list of drives currently attached to PC, make note of the drive number of the drive you want to wipe

If Disk 1 is the drive you want to clear, type select 1) and press enter. A message will confirm it is selected

Warning: Diskpart Erase/Clean will permanently erase/destroy all data on the selected drive. Please be certain that you are erasing the correct disk.

Once you sure its right disk, type Clean and press enter

The Command Prompt window will display the message "DiskPart succeeded in cleaning the disk". Close out of the Command Prompt window by clicking the red X in the upper right hand corner.

What motherboard do you have? how old are hard drives?

did you physically flash the bios back to an older version or do you just mean its using Legacy boot method now??

Fact it has a legacy choice tells me its a UEFI Bios. Any PC made before 2009 only had one choice of BIOS. IN the period 2006-2009 a group of hardware makers got together and created a replacement for what would become known as Legacy, but what was at time the only choice. Almost all BIOS since 2009 have been UEFI bios, allowing people to use GPT instead of MBR and have hard drives way bigger than 2.,2tb, among other new features like knowing what the mouse does. Your UEFI bios can emulate BIOS functions as it is backwards compatible.

https://superuser.com/questions/760828/0xc0000225-error-on-windows-installation-to-gpt-uefi
I have a windows 7 dvd media that works without problems, but I dont get UEFI boot option there. So I used rufus and created a flash media with UEFI. No I didnt flash the motherboard to old version, I am using the stock version that came and it had no problems in runninf Windows 10 im either BIOS or UEFI. The flash media however works in my other PC

Sent from my CPH1729 using Tapatalk