Question Windows Installation on one SSD but boot drive is a different SSD?

mjbn1977

Distinguished
I need to get the secondary SSD out of one of my gaming computers. Windows is installed on the C drive on a Samsung SSD and the the secondary SSD, my D drive, is a Micron. its not storing anything right now I need to use it for something else. But when I remove it the computer is not booting anymore. It say boot drive is missing. But windows is not installed on this SDD. I must have make a mistake when installing/setting up this computer. Is there a way to change it without reinstalling windows? Thanks.

mjbn1977

Distinguished
You will need to reinstall.
So, I tried to reinstall windows with a Win 11 boot usb. it didn't work. Said I the system is not able to run win 11. So I installed win 10 instead. after install I tried to upgrade to win11 but it kept telling me that I cannot do that since secure boot needs to be active (weird, didn't change any bios settings, win 11 worked before). I tried to change it in the MSI bios, in boot and advance option changing to UEFI only. But after that it kept going over and over again back into bios and windows didn't boot. I changed the UEFI back to Legacy and now I cannot get into bios anymore. Even if I put in the boot usb drive, its going right to windows. I tried all possible buttons to get in bios....none works (del, f2, f10, f12, nothing). How can I get into bios again?

Latest posts