Question Windows Installed in Spanish. Anyway to revert to English without a wipe?

Mar 15, 2019
Bought a build with Windows 10 installed in Spanish. It had English plug in's which had made me believe it was all English. Is there anyway to uninstall and install it back into English without deleting any data I've already made? Or am I missing a way to do this altogether? lol

USAFRet

Titan
Bought a build with Windows 10 installed in Spanish. It had English plug in's which had made me believe it was all English. Is there anyway to uninstall and install it back into English without deleting any data I've already made? Or am I missing a way to do this altogether? lol
You bought a used PC with the OS already installed?

You need to do a full wipe and reinstall anyway.

Mar 15, 2019

[/QUOTE

My apologies, I wasn't clear. I had bought it and went through it to make sure it was fully wiped before leaving the owner's house, but had not even noticed the Spanish install.

USAFRet

Titan
My apologies, I wasn't clear. I had bought it and went through it to make sure it was fully wiped before leaving the owner's house, but had not even noticed the Spanish install.

That's one of the many reasons why you need to personally do it.

1. Verifies the hardware is fully working
  2. Verifies the licensing
  3. Verifies where the install came from
  4. The most important one - Completely removes all traces of the seller and anyone else whoever touched that system.

Even if he said he did it 5 minutes before you arrived. Or even if you watched him do it....you need to lay hands on and do it yourself.

Mar 15, 2019
That's one of the many reasons why you need to personally do it.

1. Verifies the hardware is fully working
  2. Verifies the licensing
  3. Verifies where the install came from
  4. The most important one - Completely removes all traces of the seller and anyone else whoever touched that system.
Even if he said he did it 5 minutes before you arrived. Or even if you watched him do it....you need to lay hands on and do it yourself.
I agree. Thank you for this

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Or even if you watched him do it....you need to lay hands on and do it yourself.

I have to disagree with this. If you witness someone else actually doing a completely clean reinstall, there is absolutely nothing to be gained by doing it again. You're not doing anything you haven't just seen occur, and it gains you nothing.

If someone claims to have done it, but you didn't see the process from initiation through completion, that's a different story.

USAFRet

Titan
I have to disagree with this. If you witness someone else actually doing a completely clean reinstall, there is absolutely nothing to be gained by doing it again. You're not doing anything you haven't just seen occur, and it gains you nothing.

If someone claims to have done it, but you didn't see the process from initiation through completion, that's a different story.
The install that they are using...where did it come from?

An ex-corporate install they got from a friend at work, and the licensing wants to talk to the corporate license server in a few days/weeks?

Taking 30 minutes to redo it yourself can't hurt.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
I didn't say it would hurt.

You are willing to presume certain things about others that I am not, at least not without evidence. But let's say that I gave them the bootable USB Win10 install media I created myself, and they kicked off the process while we were discussing details of the sale, history of the machine, etc.

What earthly reason would I have, or benefit would I derive, by doing an additional clean reinstall?

It's simple enough to check out what version and edition has just come out of a clean reinstall as well, which I would do. I can't see the benefit in doing any work that isn't necessary (in my opinion). Others can feel free to proceed as they see fit, but I feel no obligation to believe as they do nor to pretend that I do.

USAFRet

Titan
If you gave them the Win 10 USB to install with, sure. No problem.
That's just as good as you doing it yourself when you get home.

I'm not presuming anything malicious from the seller, just possible cluelessness in where that install came from.

ex-corporate, or some junk he got off the interwebs.
"Hey, it worked for the last 3 months I had this so it must be good, right?"

Not everyone, either buying or selling, is as clueful as thee and me.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Not everyone, either buying or selling, is as clueful as thee and me.

Indeed, but in a case like this I'd suggest a discussion of how you can go to Settings, System, About Pane, then look under the Windows Specifications section to determine exactly what just installed on the system. If it's precisely what you had intended to install, then it's done since you witnessed the whole thing, regardless of who had the install media.

I am simply not willing to believe that most folks selling their own computer when they've gotten a new one are skilled or nefarious enough to put in a compromised Windows 10. The wrong edition, sure, but that's easy enough to check before throwing the baby out with the bath water. Were it a case that they installed Win10 Home in the correct Version in my presence and I wanted Pro, I wouldn't wipe and reinstall. I'd use Settings, Update & Security, Activation Pane, Change Product Key link to update to the Pro Edition.

Windows 10 gives lots of very easy ways to verify things that took a lot more effort in the past. I prefer to teach people to use them, when needed, before taking the thermonuclear option of a completely clean reinstall. I've also sold machines to people with things like MS Office installed in a release that still worked perfectly well, but that I was not intending to update or re-use on another machine. Many would prefer to keep that kind of software, and I don't blame them.

USAFRet

Titan
Its a 'new to you' system. There is little reason to NOT go nuclear on it.

If other licensed software like Office is included in the buy, that gets reinstalled as well.
Just like the OS, that needs to have a verified license transferred to the new owner.

I've seen too many 'new to you' systems with stuff you do not want.
Up to and including "Jane, you need to call the police on this. If you don't, I will"

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

popatim

Titan
Me... I'm like Mulder: Trust No One.
I'd fully nuke the drive(s) and then reinstall the software from my own downloads. I don't care what was on when I got it. Even OEM's sneak in stuff that shouldn't be there <cough- Lenovo AGAIN-cough>.

Nice Sig btw. :)