[SOLVED] Windows installer BSOD loop

xaryon

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2013
Hello,

my friend brought me an older laptop, an Asus K50LD, to clean it up a little, fix it's screen and install a fresh copy of Windows on it since he swapped a drive for a bigger one. I did everything except for the Windows install because of some weird issue I'm having with this thing.
I used a Windows Media Creation Tool to put a fresh W10 ISO on my pendrive, but whenever it starts to load, I can only see a Windows logo, the white dots start to form a circle and BSOD pops out, everytime with a different error code, most common ones are:

- failed acpi.sys
- IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
- KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
- SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

I tried:
- redownloading the ISO to the pendrive
- using a different pendrive
- using a different version of Windows (7, 8, 8.1, 10, even 11 one for lols)
-booting a LiveCD Linux image - it shows a "32 bit relocation outside of kernel system halted" message, no matter the distro used
- pulling out memory sticks, hoping that maybe of them is faulty (even though both of the 4GB sticks reported in BIOS without a problem)
- creating a bootable partition to try and install the OS from it

Any ideas what could be wrong with this laptop or how can I fix this issue?

I was thinking about installing the OS on it's drive using a different machine, but that could lead to additional problems...

xaryon

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2013
run a memtest https://www.memtest86.com/
btw that bigger drive, how big it is?
A regular 2,5" 500GB HDD. He doesn't need an SSD for it. I'll run memtest, maybe the memory is busted somehow, but the problem was occuring regardless of the stick used in the laptop.

EDIT: it seems that the memory really might be an issue here, since the Memtest gets stuck at 25%.

Last edited: