Windows Installer wants to install when I click on a program

Windows Installer wants to install when I click on a program.

Bizarre problem. Recently when I double click on two different programs
to start either (one is Spyware Blaster), instead of the program starting
up, I get "Windows Installer". In both cases it wants to install my
Logitech Quickcam. That is already installed and working just fine. I've
let it go and it won't install because it wants a CD to use. When I abort
the installation I get the Windows Installer again telling me something
about bla bla quickcam bla and would I like to try again - well to make a
long story short, I have to click "cancel" with this Windows Installer
about 8 or 10 times rapidly because it keeps coming up again - finally,
finallythe Windows Installer is aborted, and the program I wanted to start
in the 1st place loads up.

I just wonder if any more of my programs are going to do the same thing if
I try to start them.

Now, I cannot do a Sstem Restore,. This is a different problem i have run
into before and had fixed it.. With SR I tried to restore to different
point, and it acts like it is going to work, reboots as it should, only to
find it cannot restore - this problem I had before when I 1st got this
computer maybe 10 months ago. So I had to turn off system restore and
lose all of my restore points (unuseable anyway) and then I turned it back
on again.. but this isn't why I am here - it's the windows installer
thing..

Anyone - ideas? Get the CD out and let it install my Logitech Quickcam?

...D.

Hi,

Click start/run, type regedit and click ok. Expand the lus (+) signs to
reach this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\Products

For each key below it with the long character string, click on it and look
at the ProductName string in the right pane to locate the one for the
Logitech QuickCam. After selecting this key on the left, then click
file/export and save a copy to the desktop. Then delete *just* this key.

Then retry installing the software. If this causes additional problems, you
can put the key back by double-clicking the saved copy on the desktop.
Otherwise, once you are assured everything is working correctly and after
rebooting, you can delete the saved copy.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"...D." <d@no_usenet_email..org> wrote in message
> Windows Installer wants to install when I click on a program.
>
> Bizarre problem. Recently when I double click on two different programs
> to start either (one is Spyware Blaster), instead of the program starting
> up, I get "Windows Installer". In both cases it wants to install my
> Logitech Quickcam. That is already installed and working just fine. I've
> let it go and it won't install because it wants a CD to use. When I abort
> the installation I get the Windows Installer again telling me something
> about bla bla quickcam bla and would I like to try again - well to make a
> long story short, I have to click "cancel" with this Windows Installer
> about 8 or 10 times rapidly because it keeps coming up again - finally,
> finallythe Windows Installer is aborted, and the program I wanted to start
> in the 1st place loads up.
>
> I just wonder if any more of my programs are going to do the same thing if
> I try to start them.
>
> Now, I cannot do a Sstem Restore,. This is a different problem i have run
> into before and had fixed it.. With SR I tried to restore to different
> point, and it acts like it is going to work, reboots as it should, only to
> find it cannot restore - this problem I had before when I 1st got this
> computer maybe 10 months ago. So I had to turn off system restore and
> lose all of my restore points (unuseable anyway) and then I turned it back
> on again.. but this isn't why I am here - it's the windows installer
> thing..
>
> Anyone - ideas? Get the CD out and let it install my Logitech Quickcam?
>

> ...D.

Thanks I will try this. Though I said "windows Installer", I believe it
is a 3rd party installer, and not an XP installer, if that makes any
sense.
...D.

---------------------------
On Sat, 6 Nov 2004 07:49:02 -0500, "Rick \"Nutcase\" Rogers"
<rick@mvps.org> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Click start/run, type regedit and click ok. Expand the lus (+) signs to
>reach this key:
>
>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\Products
>
>For each key below it with the long character string, click on it and look
>at the ProductName string in the right pane to locate the one for the
>Logitech QuickCam. After selecting this key on the left, then click
>file/export and save a copy to the desktop. Then delete *just* this key.
>
>Then retry installing the software. If this causes additional problems, you
>can put the key back by double-clicking the saved copy on the desktop.
>Otherwise, once you are assured everything is working correctly and after
>rebooting, you can delete the saved copy.

Many third party programs rely on the Windows Installer. Please let us know
how this goes.