I recently encountered the following problem: When I try
to "Detect and Repair" or install a Windows program, I
get a Windows Installer error message: "This patch
package could not be opened. Verify that the patch
package exists and that you can access it". I was able to
perform these actions last week! Is there a way I can re-
install Windows Installer 2.0 without having to reinstall
my operating system? (I don't want to lose all the
information I have on my computer.)I tried using my
installation disk to upgrade instead of reinstall, but it
didn't work. I still keep getting the same error message.

take a look in the admin tools in the control
panel..services..and see if the installer is started

I followed your recommendations, started the installer in
the services section of the admin tools but I continue to
receive the same error message. Is there anything else I
can do?
Thank you kindly...