[SOLVED] Windows is completely broken need help ASAP

Tate Ottaway

Reputable
Jul 1, 2015
I was having problems with a program reading my user file. In an attempt to fix it i was going to change the user file name and rename it. In an attempt to do so my computer became extremely slow and wouldnt load some apps including the settings app for the pc. I think this was due to the permissions changing and files being only readable. I once again attempted to fix it by making all files readable. I was finally able to open everything correctly but some programs were still broken.

At this point i also tried doing a restore to a data point from a week ago. That didnt work. I now decided i would just do the reset option and clean the hard drive and reinstall. I didnt want to lose all my information. So I moved the files i needed (games,pictures,word docs) over to my other hard drive as im running 3 hard drives. I then thought i would go ahead and disconnect my other 2 hard drives since they only have games on them that i wouldnt want to re-download. I would disconnect them, and restart the pc and then reinstall windows on my m.2 where it was already installed.

I proceeded with my plan and then my pc got stuck in a automatic repair loop. I went into the bios and checked to make sure it was booting from the correct drive and it was but i couldnt solve the issue. I then re-connected the other 2 hard drives to see if that would fix it. It did not fix it.

I now have been desperately searching and attempting every trick i can find on the internet to fix it. Windows wont reset from the automatic repair screen. it just says it failed. I also have tried different commands with the command prompt window and nothing is working. My next attempt will be plugging in a windows usb and seeing if i can re install over the old version.

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB - it will be latest version and save time updating windows again afterwards

unplug other 2 drives, at least all your data is safe
change boot order in BIOS so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
follow this guide: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html
when you reach the screen asking for licence, click "I don't have a key" and win 10 will continue to install and reactivate once finished
once PC boots with only 1 drive in it, turn off PC. unplug it and plug 2 old drives back in. likely to need to take ownership of folders before you can use them. windows will ask when you use folder 1st...

Colif

Win 11 Master
On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB - it will be latest version and save time updating windows again afterwards

unplug other 2 drives, at least all your data is safe
change boot order in BIOS so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
follow this guide: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html
when you reach the screen asking for licence, click "I don't have a key" and win 10 will continue to install and reactivate once finished
once PC boots with only 1 drive in it, turn off PC. unplug it and plug 2 old drives back in. likely to need to take ownership of folders before you can use them. windows will ask when you use folder 1st time.

Solution