Question Windows is corrupting?

GameNoobTV

Reputable
Jan 26, 2016
[Note: Moderator edit to break up original single paragraph format.]

For the last couple of days, I have been fully on edge trying to fix my computer non-stop.

It starts when trying to download FH4 from the Windows Store and receiving the error code 0x80073DOA (Which I later learn is Windows stopping the install due to the firewall being turned off).

Then, in my not very smart manner, try to download all other pending updates at the same time, which i watch one by one fail with the same code, before Windows Store suddenly crashes. Now it will no longer open, not even by the Run command.

Confused, I hit up Google to solve my issue, where I am informed to run the Store troubleshooter. I do as such and the troubleshooter tells me to reset the Store app. Upon doing so, the Store removes itself from my apps list, still won't open, and now the Run command show the message "you'll need a new app to open this ms-windows-store link".

This is the point where I realize somethings not right. After doing more research, I find out I can use a Powershell command to reinstall the Windows Store, and I do as such. Even after giving myself elevated privileges, I am greeted with an error message saying that I can't execute the command because my firewall is turned off, with the same error code from the Store (0x80073DOA).

Now I move to trying to get the Firewall turned on through the Services window and make another discovery, the firewall and all its dependencies have basically been forced to stay off, and as far as I'm aware, I've given myself highest privileges on the computer and trying to start them gives me error 5: "access is denied" for the dependency services and error 1068: "The dependency service or group failed to start" for the firewall itself.

Then, of course, it gets worse from here. I also find out that my Mail and Photos apps no longer work.

I realize that my Windows is probably corrupted or a Virus that both MalwareBytes and MalwareBytes Anti-Root could not detect, so now I have to reset my computer, keeping the files of course.

In preparation I bought another HDD solely to duplicate my drive so I could recover any lost files from the reset.

I also would like to point out that I did the "sfc /scannow" command at least 10 time during the entire mess. I finally find the time to begin my reset and get greeted with the absolute last thing I needed to see. "There was a problem resetting your PC. No changes were made".

Now I am at the brink of insanity and desperately need the help of anyone. I really do not want to have to fully reset my PC, cause transferring back all my files is going to be an excruciatingly long experience. Also pointing out that my Windows backup service does not work and does not backup my PC properly due to a error that's apparently also caused by the firewall.

Please help me, I'm running out of ideas.

SPECS:
Intel Core i5-4590
Asus H81M-D Plus
16G RAM - Kingston
AMD RX580 8G XFX
Seagate ST1000DM003 - Main HDD
Windows 10 Home Edition - Build 18363

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Take a closer look at your computer's configuration:

Enable the firewall and "allow" apps permission to go through.

References:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...10-turn-microsoft-defender-firewall-on-or-off

https://www.microsoftpressstore.com/articles/article.aspx?p=2224362&seqNum=2

First gain an understanding of the current configuration and perhaps you will be able to determine what is (or is not) happening.

Then try making any appropriate configuration changes - just change only one thing at a time and keep notes in case you need to roll back a change.

GameNoobTV

Reputable
Jan 26, 2016
That's the problem, I can't enable firewall through the conventional methods described. When I try to open it through the Windows Security tab, I get the Window to open for a brief second and then shut off. It like this for everything within that page. I've exercised almost all usual methods of trying to open firewall but nothing really seems to work.