[SOLVED] Windows is crashing when duplicating display

Mar 21, 2021
Hi everyone,

Having a real issue that I can't find an answer to.

I'm running dual monitors. One is 2560x1440 90hz through display port and the other is 1920x1080 60hz through HDMi (I have also run from a dvi port to test yet I still have the same problem). Whenever the desktop is extended display then they work fine. Whenever I duplicate display, windows immediately crashes and I get a blue screen which seems to say that amdkmdag.sys has stopped working among some other coded things like 0x0000007E. There are a few of these coded numbers which are all like this but slightly different.

I'm running Windows 7 with AMD R9 graphics card. I have tested this with two different 1080 monitors and have the same issue. I should also note that if if my 1440 monitor is connected via HDMI instead of display port then I have no issues. However this only shows at a max of 60hz and I am hoping to get the most out of my set up.

My bios is up to date and I've tried updating and rolling back drivers and this problem still occurs. I'm wondering if it's likely that by duplicating the displays it is trying to output a higher resolution or Hz to the secondary monitor, but I have no idea.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
Thanks for that. I assumed that would be the issue. I don't suppose there is anyway around that without compromising the higher resolution on my main monitor? Duplicating display is quite useful for the way I work on my computer.

Duplicate means same resolution, the refresh rate difference may be what is causing the crash rather than the resolution. Set all screens to 60hz and then see if things work OK, although all screens will be at 1080.
Mar 21, 2021
Thanks for that. I assumed that would be the issue. I don't suppose there is anyway around that without compromising the higher resolution on my main monitor? Duplicating display is quite useful for the way I work on my computer.

duplicate display results in attempted duplicate resolution in most cases so the result is the crash

Duplicate means same resolution, the refresh rate difference may be what is causing the crash rather than the resolution. Set all screens to 60hz and then see if things work OK, although all screens will be at 1080.

Reactions: Uncodable
Solution