windows is only recognizing 3 cores out of 6 ryzen 1600

starwars4zoe

Prominent
Jan 16, 2018
ok so i downloaded the ryzen master software just to try it out. i had a 3.85GHz overclock at 1.25v when i started the software. so in the software i bumped it up to 4.0 GHz @ 1.35v i reset my PC opened cinebench and it said i had 3 cores 6 threads. so now i have no clue what to try next.
1. i removed the software
2. cleared the cmos
3. i flashed the bios
i'm wondering if i should try a fresh install of windows or if my CPU is shot

Solution

ok so i fixed the issue. so apparently the ryzen master software locked my CPU to 6 threads. So with no help from AMD:fou: i ran the command :BCDEdit and found the numproc set to 6 which means it was locked to 6 threads
so i typed the command :bcdedit/deletevaue numproc Now everything is working as it should

jr9

Estimable
Well that is unfortunate. This issue is likely caused by Windows failing to recognize your cores or has disabled them for some reason.

Windows key -> msconfig -> enter - > boot tab - > advanced options - > number of processors, ensure it's set to 6

Windows reinstall should also fix this issue. It would save time.

starwars4zoe

Prominent
Jan 16, 2018

ok so i fixed the issue. so apparently the ryzen master software locked my CPU to 6 threads. So with no help from AMD:fou: i ran the command :BCDEdit and found the numproc set to 6 which means it was locked to 6 threads
so i typed the command :bcdedit/deletevaue numproc Now everything is working as it should

Solution

jr9

Estimable
The fact that Ryzen Master edits your BCD is troubling. I will make a note of that. I suppose bootrec /rebuildbcd also would have worked, or perhaps just nuking the OS out of frustration. I recommend just using your BIOS for overclocking. That way if things go wrong you can reset CMOS and try again instead of having your Windows configurations messed up even after Ryzen Master is removed.

starwars4zoe

Prominent
Jan 16, 2018

yeah if that did not work that was my next step. I have always used the bios of overclocking i was just testing the software to see if it did work or not but i guess lesson learned.

Apr 9, 2018

I know you fixed it, but I wanted to add my solution since I went through this also. I just built my own pc and only could see 3 cores on every type of system monitor. Task manager to cpuz. For me it was the windows COMPLETE REINSTALL that fixed it. I tried all other option listed here and they didn't work. I actually reinstalled windows for another reason but it ended up fixing it this. Msconfig didn't help, bios changes didn't help just the reinstall.

zacheryokeefe

Prominent
Oct 11, 2017

You are a lifesaver. i was in the midst of losing my shit thinking i was going to have to reinstall AGAIN and this tiny command seems to have fixed it.

I think you mean set to 12... I believe MSConfig doesn't distinguish between logical and physical processors for this.

You should also double check your BIOS for a 'down-core' setting just to make sure it's at 6 cores, even though I've no idea if there is any way it could be set to only 3 cores on Ryzen! And that SMT is not disabled.

TRENDING THREADS