Question Windows is starting (black screen)

Sep 2, 2019
I've been at this for 2 days straight, tried probably hundred things I found by googling, but couldn't solve it, so I came to ask for help - nothing else comes to mind.

After I start up the pc, and that windows 7 starting windows logo finishes it's animation (when it's supposed to show blue welcome screen, after transition to black) it all stays black.

Windows couldn't repair it automatically, so I went into cmd, and tried some stuff from google (bootrec /fixmbr - bootrec /fixboot - bootrec /rebuildbcd)
All show operation completed succesfully, but last one shows operation completed succesfully 0 operating systems found.

There I noticed the cmd is not starting from c: but instead it's X:\windows\system32

Then I listed the files inside X: and found Program Files, Users, Windows and some other files that I don't have on my HDD - I don't recognise this structure from my C: HDD
I listed D: and it was my HDD that has system on it - I recognise the file structure, and it has both Program files x86 and other one, windows etc. (Though the last time my pc worked this was my C: hdd)
I listed C: and it was now that small 100mb system reserved partition.

If this is a bit confusing, please check these images, as I don't know how to explain better: View: https://imgur.com/a/dEyIXye

You can see on the fourth image when I list D: - that is supposed to be my windows, and is supposed to be C: not D:
So, I'm thinking when it's starting windows it tries to load it from the wrong place (maybe that X: ), and ends up in black screen.

One thing to note is, I can start my pc in safe mode with networking, and C: is my main HDD with windows on it, and X: is nowhere to be found.
If anyone has an idea what to try next, please help.

Sep 2, 2019
So basically you're saying, that is how it's supposed to be, and black screen problem lies somewhere else?

EDIT: It's just that it says on second image Volume in drive X is boot so that is confusing me - unless that means X is only currently boot, as long as I'm in recovery I guess, and not when I restart the pc.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2019
Ok, after reading that, I went a different route - figured since I can boot into safe mode, must be some software causing problems when starting normally.

Long story short, I uninstalled my radeon drivers, and it booted normally.

Thank you very much, you have no idea how much you've helped me : )

TRENDING THREADS