Windows is unable to install to the selected location?! HELP!

Computer__GUY

Honorable
Dec 15, 2013
I have just got a new motherboard (MSI 970 Gaming) and I am trying to download Windows 7. I have got two hard drives one is a 1TB Seagate and the other is a 40GB WD which is primarily for installing the OS. The problem is every time I try to install Windows on my 40gb HDD, I get a message that says 'Windows is unable to install to the selected location'. I never had any problems with my old motherboard, can someone help me out please.

n3onis

Reputable
Nov 5, 2014
40 Gigabytes is enough for the operating system, but if it is older and runs on IDE and not SATA, I recommend you rather install the OS on the other HDD, as your OS will start and work slower on the old one.
The error message probably shows because your allocated space is not completely formatted and wiped.
Try following this guide for easier installation; http://smallbusiness.chron.com/wipe-hard-drive-clean-reinstall-windows-54129.html

Computer__GUY

Honorable
Dec 15, 2013
The 40gb WD is SATA. I bought it just s few days ago because I didn't want to have to format my 1TB hard drive because it has all of my software and files on it which I can't be bothered to backup. I'm pretty sure that I have formatted it properly... Any other suggestions? Do I need to install any drivers?