[SOLVED] Windows issues with startup and shutdown after chaning hardware.

Oct 15, 2020
Ok so here is all of the background information: I recently have been having problems that I've been trying to fix. I may have fixed those problems but that remains to be seen. This is not what I'm here to ask about, but the info may be relevant in some way. First I got a new PSU, there were no new problems after doing that. Then I got new ram and a m.2 nvme ssd. I cloned my old c drive (that drive was a hdd) onto the m.2 using macrium reflect. Ever since then I have been having an issue where sometimes when I shut down, the pc refuses to actually shut down. The fans and LEDs remain active and the only way that I can get them to shut down is to hold the power button. Whenever I try to start the pc up again after this it gives me a windows loading error causing me to have to reboot it. Other than when this happens, the pc turns on, turns off, and otherwise functions completely normally. I just changed my motherboard as well and the problem is still happening. Since the problem only began after I put the m.2 in, I believe it is most likely that. I looked up this issue and I saw some other people having similar issues with m.2 drives running windows, but I don't really understand whats causing it. Any thoughts on how to go about fixing this?

Ralston18

Titan
This:

"Ever since then I have been having an issue where sometimes when I shut down, the pc refuses to actually shut down. "

Are you sure that your pc is not actually in the process of finishing off some updates or other administrative chores?

What happens is that if you keep prematurely interrupting Windows' maintenance efforts then the list just gets longer and longer.

And the interruptions may also lead to corrupted files and configurations.

How big is the m.2 and how full?

Oct 15, 2020
This:

"Ever since then I have been having an issue where sometimes when I shut down, the pc refuses to actually shut down. "

Are you sure that your pc is not actually in the process of finishing off some updates or other administrative chores?

What happens is that if you keep prematurely interrupting Windows' maintenance efforts then the list just gets longer and longer.

And the interruptions may also lead to corrupted files and configurations.

How big is the m.2 and how full?
The screen shuts off and it shows no signs of updating but maybe. Next time it happens ill let it sit there for a few hours and see what happens. Its a 1 tb m.2 and has about 200 gigs left