Question Windows keeps changing mt desktop icon locations when I close a game ran at a different resolution

icri

Prominent
Dec 25, 2017
Hey!
I run CS:GO at a 4:3 resolution. I recently updated windows 10 to the version 1903 and since then I've had some issues.
Whenever I close CS:GO, it moves the desktop icons on the right third of my desktop closer to the center. I read online that this is normal because the other windows is at a different resolution, therefore also the desktop will have to modify the icon locations for that resolution. However, normally the icons would move back to the previous (in my case 1080p) locations when the game is closed.
For me, they don't and this only started happening after I updated windows to 1903. This is EXTREMELY annoying since I essentially can't use about one third of my desktop and right now it's getting quite cluttered. I've tried all possible fixes I found online, such as messing around with the resolution settings, scaling settings in Nvidia control panel, refreshing the desktop so Windows would "save" it etc. and nothing has worked.
I considered reinstalling windows completely but I'd still like to see if there is any solution other than that.
Right now as a band-aid fix, I use DesktopOK to restore the positions every time I tab out of CS:GO, but it gets annoying having to do it every single time.
(Here is a link to a video where I demonstrate the issue with one icon.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cidq304FAxw
)

Help is greatly appreciated.

Edit: Added the video

icri

Prominent
Dec 25, 2017
Are you running the game in a window or full screen? If the game offers the option of window or full screen, try the other.
I am running the game in full screen mode with the in-game resolution set to 1280x960 (4:3) and I've set the scaling mode in nvidia control panel to full screen to get it to be 4:3 stretched and not black bars.
If I change the game to windowed borderless or windowed, it won't be in the resolution I would like it to be, instead it will be in my desktop resolution (1920x1080), but the icons won't move if it's in 1920x1080 because there is no rescaling to be done.
Fullscreen with the nvidia scaling option is the only way to properly get 4:3 stretched on a 16:9 monitor, but that introduces the icon moving issue, which I didn't have before.