[SOLVED] Windows keeps crashing after overclocking

Jan 18, 2019
My CPU is an i5-9600K overclocked to 4.9GHz (stable) with the voltage on auto and max power consumption on 1000W (default: 95W) that never goes above 65°C. At 5.0GHz the system still boots, but Windows (10) crashes usually after I type my password. My motherboard is a Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X that alongside the 8 pin connector has a 4 pin connector, but my 650W PSU only has one 4+4pin connector. Which one of this is the problem:
a) Voltage needs to be manually set
b) The 4 pin is required

Solution
You haven't changed voltage at all? Im surprised you got to 4.9ghz stable at stock voltage. What is your motherboard applying for stock VCORE voltage?

The single 8pin is more than enough for any overclock you can achieve on water or air. The only time that extra 4pin will come in handy is extreme overclocking well past 5ghz with something like LN2 or dry ice cooling.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
You haven't changed voltage at all? Im surprised you got to 4.9ghz stable at stock voltage. What is your motherboard applying for stock VCORE voltage?

The single 8pin is more than enough for any overclock you can achieve on water or air. The only time that extra 4pin will come in handy is extreme overclocking well past 5ghz with something like LN2 or dry ice cooling.

Solution