Windows keeps resetting my refresh rate to 59hz, on a 165hz Asus monitor.

Jul 18, 2018
I have a 1440p Asus PG279Q monitor, windows 10 and Asus GTX 1080. I'm using a single monitor.

Whenever i change my resolution, like when I'm downsampling with Nvidia, the screen resets to 60hz, all the time and it's driving me crazy! What's weird is that the game displays two difference fps: The steam overlay one is over 100fps, but the yellow built in fps counter in the monitor is locked at 60, causing screen tearing. It's like the game is running at my actual refresh rate but the monitor itself isn't?

It happens in certain older games like Dishonored, but it also happens if i'm just changing it to 4k in the Windows settings or Nvidia control panel, before i start the game. I always have to manually change it to 165hz when i change resolution.

I have all the latest drivers, and i'm using a display port.

Solution
Question, is your monitor 4k capable? I don't understand how you're able to select 4k (unless you mean 2k) on that monitor.

I think the default behavior in the NVIDIA Control Panel is to reset to 60Hz when changing resolution; it's a safety measure on their end to ensure you don't accidentally push a resolution/refresh combination a display can't handle.

Games do not use a fixed refresh rate, and the display output is not synced to the display's refresh. This has been a problem for decades. Since the monitor is Gsync capable, you should certainly enable that, since that will let the display refresh whenever the GPU outputs a frame. Based on your description it sounds like Gsync isn't enabled.
Question, is your monitor 4k capable? I don't understand how you're able to select 4k (unless you mean 2k) on that monitor.

I think the default behavior in the NVIDIA Control Panel is to reset to 60Hz when changing resolution; it's a safety measure on their end to ensure you don't accidentally push a resolution/refresh combination a display can't handle.

Games do not use a fixed refresh rate, and the display output is not synced to the display's refresh. This has been a problem for decades. Since the monitor is Gsync capable, you should certainly enable that, since that will let the display refresh whenever the GPU outputs a frame. Based on your description it sounds like Gsync isn't enabled.

Solution