[SOLVED] Windows key and start button does not open start menu, start menu enlarged as well.

unicornbetrayal

Prominent
Nov 3, 2022
As shown below I am experiencing a weird issue where my Windows key and start button in the bottom left does not open the start menu. I can rule out any keyboard malfunctions as it recognizes Windows key shortcuts (Windows + L, Windows + D, etc.) The only way to open it is by clicking the search box, but it looks off. Instead of popping up in a box, it stretches out to almost half the screen, and a small part of the taskbar turns white, with the start button disappearing as well. I attached a photo below. It is really strange, does anyone know what caused this and any possible solutions? Thanks

cocmSED.png

Solution
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

As shown below I am experiencing a weird issue where my Windows key and start button in the bottom left does not trigger the start menu from opening.
That would indicate that your OS is corrupt. I'd advise on first backing up all mission critical information off of the OS drive onto a removable drive, then create your bootable USB installer using Windows Media Creation Tools, to eventually proceed to format and reinstall the OS.

Lutfij

Titan

As shown below I am experiencing a weird issue where my Windows key and start button in the bottom left does not trigger the start menu from opening.
That would indicate that your OS is corrupt. I'd advise on first backing up all mission critical information off of the OS drive onto a removable drive, then create your bootable USB installer using Windows Media Creation Tools, to eventually proceed to format and reinstall the OS.

Reactions: unicornbetrayal
Solution

unicornbetrayal

Prominent
Nov 3, 2022

Thank you so much for your response, I actually did try this a few days ago, but around 15 minutes after I started the reinstall process, it restarted normally and upon logging in, yielded this error. I tried a few more times with the same result, and I have no clue why I can't reinstall, as I have done it in the past before. What would have caused this error and how could I fix this?
2q6QiNm.png

unicornbetrayal

Prominent
Nov 3, 2022
I actually did try this a few days ago, but around 15 minutes after I started the reinstall process, it restarted normally and upon logging in, yielded this error.
Can you walk us through how you reinstalled the OS?
I created an installation media for Windows 10 from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10, then I just ran it and followed all the prompts and picked to keep all personal files and apps before clicking install.