[SOLVED] Windows Lags/Stutters After Day of Use, Speeds Up After Restarting Explorer.exe in Task Manager

jddg5wa

Honorable
Jan 24, 2013
So basically my PC runs like butter on startup. After using my pc for a while(about a day or so) it will lag/stutter but if I restart Explorer.exe in Task Manger it goes back to running like butter. I'm not sure what is causing this issue. I reinstalled Windows and it happened on a fresh install even. I don't have any viruses or such and all my hardware test fine.

Any idea what else might be causing this?

My computer is about 4 or 5 years old so could that contribute? Although like I said all my parts test fine and run at the speeds I would expect them too.

Specs
• MOBO: Gigabyte Z97X-SLI
• CPU: i7-4790K
• GPU: GTX980 ti
• RAM: 16gb
• MAIN Drive: SSD 860 Evo

Solution
I would suggest not running your backgound apps one by one to try and track down the culprit. Has to be a program with a memory leak or IO waits or something. Try killing windows indexer or something.

jddg5wa

Honorable
Jan 24, 2013

I tried a reinstall already and it did seem to help, it isn't as bad as it used to be, but the same things happen. It's very weird. I think I checked for a memory leak before but not sure. I'll check again. Thanks for the suggestion.

I usually do now but it slows down as the day goes on and often if I put a heavy load on the computer sometimes it won't speed up once things are closed. I'm wondering if it's a memory leak like mentioned, thought I had checked that but I'm gonna try again.

MCMunroe

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006
I would suggest not running your backgound apps one by one to try and track down the culprit. Has to be a program with a memory leak or IO waits or something. Try killing windows indexer or something.

Solution

jddg5wa

Honorable
Jan 24, 2013

Oh! I forgot about windows indexer. I remember trying it in the past, cause I have terrabytes of data over like 6 hard drives so did think that could be slowing it down, but I don't think I entirely turned it off.

Anyways thanks for the suggestion. I have it entirely off now, disabled the service. I'll give that a test before checking the background apps manually.