Windows Laptop Makes Appearance on 30 Rock

Status
Not open for further replies.

ominous prime

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
It's doubtful that Windows will make their own PC's, it would hurt dell/sony/hp etc. If anything they'll do what they are now, selling Sony/hp/dell. The point of Windows is that it can run on any system configuration unlike Mac.

touchdowntexas13

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
Um i say keep all of your time invested in developing quality operating systems. I know that competition drives down costs for the consumer, but there are already plenty of pre-built brands out there.

We don't want you turning into apple now...

cheepstuff

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
a brand name windows machine? what i would hope from something like that (software-wise) would either be the OS and NOTHING else (which would rock) or a system with just a taste of extra features. hopefully if they do the latter they wouldn't make crappy some bloatware similar to every other computer brand. i mean, they are the biggest software company in the world right? they've got to be able to write some slick code to hold that title, right?

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
Microsoft wont compete with the customers they rely on.

This is why we wont see a zune phone until WinMo start's failing on a massive scale.

tlmck

Distinguished
Microsoft could ink a deal with each manufacturer to come out with a "Microsoft Special Edition" with the MS logo on the back. It would be identical to the stock model except for the mylar logo sticker pasted on the back. They could charge a $100 premium and I can guarantee a bunch of idiots would buy it.

bedford10

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2009
Orrr Microsoft could try and enter a laptop market or something just to get the logo out there and keep the hardware platform open to other companies... (obviously).

G

actually its two notebooks. The first shot is likely the HP machine but the second is definitely a Lenovo ThinkPad W500.

G

That same laptop with the same logo was on Smallville in Chloe's Watchtower.

alikum

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
Simple enough, give the OEMs more discounts on top of bulk discounts and have them drop a Microsoft/Windows logo on their laptops. So essentially, that would make 2 logos on one laptop.

Well then, perhaps Microsoft is trying to turn things around with a Windows-branded machine that appeared in a recent episode of NBC's 30 Rock.

Keep in mind, NBC is actually "MSNBC" and is owned by Microsoft. Of course it's not an Apple being displayed while Windows 7 is being released. Although I would have thought you folks would have mentioned this in this article, since it is relevant.

Drag0nR1der

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2007
Beats the hell out of those bloody annoying stickers ... now if we could just get intel to stop putting theirs on too.

To be honest I'd like to see them go in to partnership with hardware companies to create PC lines where the hardware has been optimised to run with windows (they demo'd a laptop at the launch event twhere they had done this and it cold booted in about 8 seconds... now thats cool), these could then sport a nice windows logo.

wira020

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
What windows should do for their signature pcs and laptops would be to take them from other manufacturer, put their sticker, charge a little premium and include RETAIL edition of the installed OS.. now that would differ them from other manufacturer who would only give out OEM version...

Whenever problem arise customer can have the option to reformat it.. or when they want to upgrade the laptop... they can just buy laptop without OS preinstalled... saves a few buck anyway...

And i'm sure windows can preload it with some extra USEFUL apps...

spanspace

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
30 Rock is NOT the first to have these windows logo'd laptops and PC's. They've been showing up in scifi shows for months now.

Status
Not open for further replies.