[SOLVED] Windows License on Old Laptop

Rafdog

Prominent
Jan 5, 2021
Hey, all,

So here's the dilemma:

Upgraded a buddies old HP laptop from native Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 (Home I believe it was?) with the still-available-to-upgrade option.

Months later his main 500gb hdd just died. Was an old 5400 hdd. He's ordered a new one and comes in soon.

Now here's my main thought before installing the new hdd and reinstalling Windows: we don't have the Win 8.1/Win 10 key to reactivate after installing to the new hdd. Do I need to reinstall Windows 8.1 and then it'll Activate by itself and then upgrade to Win 10 again? Do I just reinstall Windows 10 Home and it'll re-Activate? Do I need to contact Microsoft for them to Activate it? The machines over 5 years old so any warranties it had are long gone.

Any and all info is appreciated!

Solution
it should auto-activate for you. there is no key involved with the upgrade, it is based on a hardware signature which won't change with the new hdd.

if it does not, then a call to ms will get it fixed. takes a few minutes but not a big deal to do.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
it should auto-activate for you. there is no key involved with the upgrade, it is based on a hardware signature which won't change with the new hdd.

if it does not, then a call to ms will get it fixed. takes a few minutes but not a big deal to do.

Solution

Rafdog

Prominent
Jan 5, 2021

Awesome. Thanks for the info!

If we do need to call Microsoft, which # or department are we looking to call to help with Reactivation?

USAFRet

Titan
Agree with the above.
A reinstall in this same laptop should incur no issues with activation.
A replacement HDD or SSD is no problem.

TRENDING THREADS