[SOLVED] Network card disabled after upgrade

Aug 29, 2019
Hi,

A couple of days ago I received Intel ac 7260 wifi card, after replacing the old Broadcom bcm94313hmgb it turned out that nothing is ever simple. The Intel card would not turn wifi radio on, even after trying multiple drivers (Microsoft and Intel), weird thing is that Bluetooth worked fine.

Ethernet works, before I uninstalled Broadcom's drivers I managed to get Intel's card working, by pushing pulling it out of the mpcie slot on mobo, so that confirms that the card is functional (after restart it would not work again). Fn+F8 is supposed to be some switch but that doesn't do anything.

What i have tried:
  1. I uninstalled old drivers and still it would not work, after that something else got broken and now old wifi card doesn't work either.
  2. Multiple drivers.
  3. I did also try to cover pins 20 and 51 on Intel's but with no luck.
  4. Resetting the bios by removing CMOS battery and resetting it in bios itself.
In short, the problem is that wifi card won't turn it's wifi radio on, on Linux I tried 'rfkill list' and it was hard blocked...

Laptop info:
Toshiba C660-168, Upgraded CPU to i5 560m (no problems with that), 4gb ram, 240gb SSD

Last edited:
Solution
Seems that I fixed it myself after 3 days of troubleshooting, I decided to cover all of the "reserved" pins (37-51 on 1 side + 20) with a black sharpie after that it started working.
I have no idea why it didn't work on its own cause I have no WLAN switch, maybe bios locked that slot down? Guess I'll never know...
Aug 29, 2019
Does it have a switch you accidentally flipped to off when you were flipping it around for install?

Fn+F8 not help?
My laptop doesn't have a dedicated physical switch for the network card. Fn+F8 doesn't seem to do anything in windows, on Linux (Pop OS) it enabled airplane mode.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2019
Seems that I fixed it myself after 3 days of troubleshooting, I decided to cover all of the "reserved" pins (37-51 on 1 side + 20) with a black sharpie after that it started working.
I have no idea why it didn't work on its own cause I have no WLAN switch, maybe bios locked that slot down? Guess I'll never know...

Solution

TRENDING THREADS