WIndows loads my old OS 2/3 the time.

kaio37k

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2013
So, I bought my computer used a while back and installed my own OS.

The previous owner had Windows 7 CHINESE installed, but when I installed Windows 8.1 my PC started booting and giving me an error IN CHINESE for the first two times I boot my PC. Yes, the FIRST and SECOND (but not third) boot when I turn my PC on is an error in Chinese.

It's almost all in Chinese except 'C:/Windows/System32/winload'
It shows this both times, then boots Win 8.1 on the third boot.

What is this and how do I get rid of it?

I am running 64-bit Windows 8.1, did I not fully delete the other OS when I FORMATTED it?

Calaghan Grainger

Reputable
Jul 31, 2014
If you did a custom install chances are you did get rid of the old OS if you did an upgrade it would have just replaced the os files instead of deleting and reinstalling. What you can always do (if your comfortable doing this) is:
Press the windows key and R at the same time. When you see the run dialog box pop up in the bottom left corner type msconfig
when system configuration has loaded under the boot tab you should see a list of operating systems if the bootloader has multiple operating systems to point to. Select the one you want to get rid of and click delete underneath the box that lists the OS.
That should remove the boot.wim file for the OS from the bootloader and it should then only boot win8.1

kaio37k

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2013

I ran msconfig but windows 8.1 (my current OS) is the only one that shows up.