[SOLVED] Windows Local Account Activation Question

Jun 28, 2022
If I am trying to create a new local account on a fresh install of Windows on a new PC, would there be any issues if I were to put in my product key from my old PC (I plan on wiping my old PC) into Windows if my product key is digitally linked with Microsoft? Would I have to sign into Microsoft to activate it or does it not matter if I just paste the product key on a local account even if it is currently linked?

Solution
The old key probably isn't going to register since it will be tied by hardware ID to the system it was on. On the other hand, using your MS account you have options with some keys to transfer your validation to a new system via your account. It would require you to use your account info in the PC initially, and then change the login option to a local account and further to delete or disable the account sign in on the local machine.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
The old key probably isn't going to register since it will be tied by hardware ID to the system it was on. On the other hand, using your MS account you have options with some keys to transfer your validation to a new system via your account. It would require you to use your account info in the PC initially, and then change the login option to a local account and further to delete or disable the account sign in on the local machine.

Solution
Jun 28, 2022
I believe there are some commands in the CMD that can remove a product key and its registry from a device, so I'm just wondering if I could simply put my product key into my new PC when setting up Windows for a local account, even if it is currently linked to my Microsoft account, without experiencing any issues such as having to sign into my Microsoft acc. to make it work. If I try to convert my current PC account to a local account, would that remove my product key from Microsoft? If so, wouldn't that be a more effective way to transfer my product key? Thanks for the response.

Last edited:

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
^ you can surf to MS and "my account" and remove a device from your account that way. The thing is that (for instance) if the previous validation was tied to an OEM key you shouldn't be expecting that to transfer over. There used to be what was called a "retail" key which may or may not exist any more, which was more readily transferred.

IME MS is more than happy to have you using their OS and oftentimes will help out simply by contacting them if you have registration issues.

Jun 28, 2022
^ you can surf to MS and "my account" and remove a device from your account that way. The thing is that (for instance) if the previous validation was tied to an OEM key you shouldn't be expecting that to transfer over. There used to be what was called a "retail" key which may or may not exist any more, which was more readily transferred.

IME MS is more than happy to have you using their OS and oftentimes will help out simply by contacting them if you have registration issues.
Okay thanks for info, I think I'll play it safe and stick to signing in with my MS account then switching to a local account after as it seems like a more secure option. Thanks for again the help.