Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool keeps popping up

matthijs49

Commendable
Oct 22, 2016
Hello,

Since two weeks, i get, after starting up the computer, the message:

Do you want this programme to make changes to your computer?
Programme Name: Microsoft Windows malicious Software Tool
Verified Publisher: Microsoft Windows

I can only start working on my computer after i say yes or no (no in my case). I found it suspicious, because this is the only program i ever had on Windows 10 popping up like this. I went to the Windows-site, and downloaded manually the same program from there. Even though i have installed that same program, it keeps popping ip after start up.

So my questions are: do you think it is safe or fake?
Also, i can not find the root file. I thought i would just delete it, as i don't think i really need it (have anti-virus program already which should cover this as well). Any idea where i can find it?

Thanks!
Matthijs

Solution
its real, its just not meant to run all the time. Have you said yes to it at any stage? That might make it stop asking

Its only meant to run once a month, it normally triggers when you get updates from Windows Update, runs once and then won't run again till next update.

Try this
right click start button
choose command prompt (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
then once its run, copy/paste this into same window:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
restart PC once they done

DISM cleans the files that SFC uses to check system files.

Colif

Win 11 Master
its real, its just not meant to run all the time. Have you said yes to it at any stage? That might make it stop asking

Its only meant to run once a month, it normally triggers when you get updates from Windows Update, runs once and then won't run again till next update.

Try this
right click start button
choose command prompt (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
then once its run, copy/paste this into same window:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
restart PC once they done

DISM cleans the files that SFC uses to check system files.

Solution

Aditya657

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2015
It is a windows update mate. It is real, run it once. It scans your system for any malicious software which can cause issues. If you run it once then it won't run again unless you update windows again ( I think ) or every month. Far as I think, It will be hard to find the root folder as It is a part of windows update ( I am downloading it now from windows updates. ) So, it is safe. Next time click that yes button!

matthijs49

Commendable
Oct 22, 2016
Thanks Colif and Aditya! As you say it is real, i have clicked 'yes'. After a very quick (and i mean very, like 3 seconds) scan, it found some things in the system32 folder. So it should be good now, and i assume it won't pop up next time i start my computer.

Thanks!
Matthijs