Windows may not be genuine.

Afromagnum

Reputable
Nov 17, 2014
Around two months ago, somewhere near the latter part of November, I had to delete a version of windows in order to install the new radeon omega drivers when they first came out. Now I was wondering if I'm able to update windows to the current update, and if so, how do I do it? My internet has been running extremely slowly for the past two days, and I think this may fix it. I get good ping, but my upload speed and download speed are only fractions of what they should be. .12 Mb/s and .95Mb/s respectively as apposed to 12Mb/s and 50Mb/s. I'm going to call comcast today, but all internet babble aside, I would really like to update my windows.

Solution

Being Windows 7, the activation code should be on the machine some where. If it is a desktop look on the back or the sides for the windows sticker, If it is a laptop look on the bottom. Windows used these stickers for XP, Vista and Win 7. Win 8 and 8.1 do not have them because there is no need to wipe the hole drive unless replacing it and it has a install copy on the HDD as a back up.

Once the code is located, in the system screen, on the bottom left there is a link that says "change product code" or something to that effect. Click on this and enter the code and tell it to activate.

Once activated that blue box saying "ask for genuine windows products" will appear. IF you...
control panel/ system

at the bottom right there should be a box saying "this copy of windows is genuine" ( blue box ). If this box is there you can update your windows OS and your copy is registered.

If it is not there you will need to enter the product code again and validate the OS before being able to fully update if the installation is older than 30 days.

Not always. It depends on the what the user has it set to do. I personally make update manually and never automatically. I do this to give time before installing to be sure there are no Issues with the patches. Last month there was an issue and because of the way I do thing it never affected my system.

Afromagnum

Reputable
Nov 17, 2014
My windows in genuine unless best buy sells computers with pirated versions of windows. They also don't give product codes to windows with their computers. vrumor is ignorant and @bgunner I dont see the blue box mainly because I dont know where to look.

OK control panel, then upper right corner in the view by category select small or large icons. this will bring up the older style look (XP), look in there for "system".

Your looking at the new fangled Vista/7 category view which I always found much more difficult to find what I wanted through that view.

Being Windows 7, the activation code should be on the machine some where. If it is a desktop look on the back or the sides for the windows sticker, If it is a laptop look on the bottom. Windows used these stickers for XP, Vista and Win 7. Win 8 and 8.1 do not have them because there is no need to wipe the hole drive unless replacing it and it has a install copy on the HDD as a back up.

Once the code is located, in the system screen, on the bottom left there is a link that says "change product code" or something to that effect. Click on this and enter the code and tell it to activate.

Once activated that blue box saying "ask for genuine windows products" will appear. IF you have issues activating Windows, it will give you an option to call them using a 800 number. This is a toll free call. It starts as an automated system but if you still have issues you can be transferred to a live human, usually foreign speaking person that is hard to understand to help you. ;)

Solution