Windows ME Lock-Up/Start-Up Problems

Okay, here's the situation:

I've got a Gateway computer running ME. Have been having numerous lock-ups.
Ctrl+Alt+delete doesn't break it-have to power down manually. When restarting
the system will usually not fully load and will lock-up again. Can sometimes
restart in sae mode, but it is rare to get ME fully loaded again. I've spent
many hours with Gateway tech support and they've told me that it sounds like
a corrupted system file. In order to fix it, I need to re-install the
operating system which will totally erase all the files I've created over the
years.

I've accepted the fact that the Gateway is probably on its last legs. At
bare minimum, I'd like to get the damn thing running long enough to transfer
files over to my new computer. So...

1. Will re-installing the operating system wipe all other files?
2. Any suggestions on getting the system to start up and run long enough to
transfer file?
3. Is there any way that I could use my new system to help "guide" my old one?
4. How hot of a fire will properly toast my old system when I get totally
fed up with it?
5. Any suggestions for getting the old files that I want to save (pictures,
etc.) off the old hard drive w/o starting up the old system?
6. Any suggestions in general?

Thanks to you all in advance!

Alias

"Really Frustrated!!!" <Really Frustrated!!!@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote

> Okay, here's the situation:
>
> I've got a Gateway computer running ME. Have been having numerous
> lock-ups.
> Ctrl+Alt+delete doesn't break it-have to power down manually. When
> restarting
> the system will usually not fully load and will lock-up again. Can
> sometimes
> restart in sae mode, but it is rare to get ME fully loaded again. I've
> spent
> many hours with Gateway tech support and they've told me that it sounds
> like
> a corrupted system file. In order to fix it, I need to re-install the
> operating system which will totally erase all the files I've created over
> the
> years.
>
> I've accepted the fact that the Gateway is probably on its last legs. At
> bare minimum, I'd like to get the damn thing running long enough to
> transfer
> files over to my new computer. So...
>
> 1. Will re-installing the operating system wipe all other files?

Yes.

> 2. Any suggestions on getting the system to start up and run long enough
> transfer file?

If you can stay in Safe Mode and have malware removal tools, you could try
that, a clean up and a defrag. Not saying that would work, although it
might.

> 3. Is there any way that I could use my new system to help "guide" my old
> one?

New system is a another computer? If so, yes.

> 4. How hot of a fire will properly toast my old system when I get totally
> fed up with it?

Heh.

> 5. Any suggestions for getting the old files that I want to save
> (pictures,
> etc.) off the old hard drive w/o starting up the old system?

Yes, take the hard drive out and change the jumpers to Slave. Attach it to
your other computer, boot into whatever OS it is running and then transfer
the files from your old drive to the new.

> 6. Any suggestions in general?

After doing that, format the old drive back in its own computer and
reinstall ME or XP if the computer can take it.

Alias

>> 1. Will re-installing the operating system wipe all other files?
>
> Yes.

No, not if the system is reinstalled over itself although this would
depend on the OP having a Win Me CD rather than a recovery CD or the Win
Me files being available in either the C;\Windows\Options\cabs or
...\install folder. Note also that if reinstalling Win Me certain steps
are necessary first if either of IE6 or WMP9 have been installed.

> Yes, take the hard drive out and change the jumpers to Slave. Attach
> it to your other computer, boot into whatever OS it is running and
> then transfer the files from your old drive to the new.

If a second computer is available then this may well be the best route to
take.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Alias <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote:

> "Really Frustrated!!!" <Really
> Frustrated!!!@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>
>> Okay, here's the situation:
>>
>> I've got a Gateway computer running ME. Have been having numerous
>> lock-ups.
>> Ctrl+Alt+delete doesn't break it-have to power down manually. When
>> restarting
>> the system will usually not fully load and will lock-up again. Can
>> sometimes
>> restart in sae mode, but it is rare to get ME fully loaded again.
>> I've spent
>> many hours with Gateway tech support and they've told me that it
>> sounds like
>> a corrupted system file. In order to fix it, I need to re-install the
>> operating system which will totally erase all the files I've created
>> over the
>> years.
>>
>> I've accepted the fact that the Gateway is probably on its last
>> legs. At bare minimum, I'd like to get the damn thing running long
>> enough to transfer
>> files over to my new computer. So...
>>
>> 1. Will re-installing the operating system wipe all other files?
>
> Yes.
>
>> 2. Any suggestions on getting the system to start up and run long
>> enough to
>> transfer file?
>
> If you can stay in Safe Mode and have malware removal tools, you
> could try that, a clean up and a defrag. Not saying that would work,
> although it might.
>
>> 3. Is there any way that I could use my new system to help "guide"
>> my old one?
>
> New system is a another computer? If so, yes.
>
>> 4. How hot of a fire will properly toast my old system when I get
>> totally fed up with it?
>
> Heh.
>
>> 5. Any suggestions for getting the old files that I want to save
>> (pictures,
>> etc.) off the old hard drive w/o starting up the old system?
>
> Yes, take the hard drive out and change the jumpers to Slave. Attach
> it to your other computer, boot into whatever OS it is running and
> then transfer the files from your old drive to the new.
>
>> 6. Any suggestions in general?
>
> After doing that, format the old drive back in its own computer and
> reinstall ME or XP if the computer can take it.
>
> Alias

http://winnoel.users.btopenworld.com/reinME.htm

And have you run the IE6 repair tool, in Add-Remove Programs first?
A little work may well obviate the necessity of reinstalling WinME.
Eg., you've ruled out "bad memory", right?

In Memorium: Alex Nichol
Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------
> [...]
> > although it might.
> >
> >> 3. Is there any way that I could use my new system to help "guide"
> >> my old one?
> >
> > New system is a another computer? If so, yes.
> >
> >> 4. How hot of a fire will properly toast my old system when I get
> >> totally fed up with it?
> >
> > Heh.
> >
> >> 5. Any suggestions for getting the old files that I want to save
> >> (pictures,
> >> etc.) off the old hard drive w/o starting up the old system?
> >
> > Yes, take the hard drive out and change the jumpers to Slave. Attach
> > it to your other computer, boot into whatever OS it is running and
> > then transfer the files from your old drive to the new.
> >
> >> 6. Any suggestions in general?
> >
> > After doing that, format the old drive back in its own computer and
> > reinstall ME or XP if the computer can take it.

You've both wrote that removing the hardrive from the old computer and
connecting it to the new computer would allow me to retrieve the files I
want. Okay, let's say that I'd like to proceed along that route. Can you
please give me step-by-step directions on how to do this? I'm not as
proficient as I'd like with computers, esp. repair.

To Jack: Thanks for your suggestion. Assuming that the I can retrieve my
files, I'll try your suggestion to see if I can get the old thing working.

"Jack E Martinelli" wrote:

> http://winnoel.users.btopenworld.com/reinME.htm
>
> And have you run the IE6 repair tool, in Add-Remove Programs first?
> A little work may well obviate the necessity of reinstalling WinME.
> Eg., you've ruled out "bad memory", right?

> In Memorium: Alex Nichol
> Your cooperation is very appreciated.
> ------
> "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message
> > >
> > > Yes.
> >
> > No, not if the system is reinstalled over itself although this would
> > depend on the OP having a Win Me CD rather than a recovery CD or the Win
> > Me files being available in either the C;\Windows\Options\cabs or
> > ..\install folder. Note also that if reinstalling Win Me certain steps
> > are necessary first if either of IE6 or WMP9 have been installed.
> >
> > > Yes, take the hard drive out and change the jumpers to Slave. Attach
> > > it to your other computer, boot into whatever OS it is running and
> > > then transfer the files from your old drive to the new.
> >
> > If a second computer is available then this may well be the best route to
> > take.
> > --
> > Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> > mike.maltby@gmail.com
> >

> > Alias <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote:
> >
> > > "Really Frustrated!!!" <Really
> > > Frustrated!!!@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

> > > Yes.

> > > If you can stay in Safe Mode and have malware removal tools, you
> > > could try that, a clean up and a defrag. Not saying that would work,
> > > although it might.

> > > New system is a another computer? If so, yes.

> > > Heh.

> > > Yes, take the hard drive out and change the jumpers to Slave. Attach
> > > it to your other computer, boot into whatever OS it is running and
> > > then transfer the files from your old drive to the new.

> > > After doing that, format the old drive back in its own computer and
> > > reinstall ME or XP if the computer can take it.
> > >
> > > Alias

Alias

"Really Frustrated!!!" <ReallyFrustrated@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

> You've both wrote that removing the hardrive from the old computer and
> connecting it to the new computer would allow me to retrieve the files I
> want. Okay, let's say that I'd like to proceed along that route. Can you
> please give me step-by-step directions on how to do this? I'm not as
> proficient as I'd like with computers, esp. repair.
>
> To Jack: Thanks for your suggestion. Assuming that the I can retrieve my
> files, I'll try your suggestion to see if I can get the old thing working.

Take the hard drive out. Look on the top and you will see a little chart on
how to set the jumper for slave and master. Change it. It's the pins on the
side that you plug into the belt in the computer (the same one that the hard
drive on the new computer is already connected to) Boot up.

To take out the old hard drive, you will have to take off both sides of the
case to get to the screws. Be sure to unplug the chord to the power supply
before you take out the drive and before you put it in the new one. No need
to screw the old drive in as you will be putting it back in the other. Just
connect it to the belt looking thing and the power supply and then plug in
the chord to the power supply and boot up. You should see the old drive in
Windows Explorer or by opening My Computer.

Alias

> "Jack E Martinelli" wrote:
>
>> http://winnoel.users.btopenworld.com/reinME.htm
>>
>> And have you run the IE6 repair tool, in Add-Remove Programs first?
>> A little work may well obviate the necessity of reinstalling WinME.
>> Eg., you've ruled out "bad memory", right?
>>
>> --
>> Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
>> Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
>> In Memorium: Alex Nichol
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/nichol.mspx
>> Your cooperation is very appreciated.
>> ------
>> "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message

>> > No, not if the system is reinstalled over itself although this would
>> > depend on the OP having a Win Me CD rather than a recovery CD or the
>> > Win
>> > Me files being available in either the C;\Windows\Options\cabs or
>> > ..\install folder. Note also that if reinstalling Win Me certain steps
>> > are necessary first if either of IE6 or WMP9 have been installed.

>> > If a second computer is available then this may well be the best route
>> > take.
>> > --
>> > Mike Maltby MS-MVP
>> > mike.maltby@gmail.com