Windows Media Creation Tool

ToxicThing

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2015
So I have Windows 10 installed on my PC (original). I bought a new PC and I want to get Windows 10 on it as well. Since I installed Windows 10 on my PC when it was free, will I need a key for the new PC when I install it with windows media creation tool, usb.

Solution

Then you need to buy a whole new OS for your new PC.

1 license, 1 PC.

USAFRet

Titan

Is this a second PC, or will the original one go away?

If you will have two systems, the new one needs its own OS
If the original system goes away, you can (probably) transfer the OS license to the new system.

Which is it?

ToxicThing

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2015

My brother will be using my PC, and I am getting a new one.

LKeels

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2011

This is abolutely false. Windows 10, once activated on a machine, NEVER needs a key again. Simply reinstall and Microsoft recognizes that hardware as licensed.

You need to try and understand what this thread is about. Reread it.

What you said has absolutely nothing to do with this thread. Maybe you meant to post in a different thread.

As said only 1 windows 10 license can be activated at a time.

You have 3 options.

1. Transfer the current license on your old PC to be tied to an ms user account. Installing win 10 on your new PC & activating it with the same ms user account will give you activated windows on your new build.Remove the ms user account from the old pc & it will then default to an unactivated windows 10 install (still absolutely useable though )
2. Suck it up , let your brother keep the activated windows install & use yours unactivated.
3. Buy a new key.