[SOLVED] Windows media player/Media feature pack refuse to install

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 19, 2021
A recent windows 10 update removed Windows media player and the Media Feature Pack. I require these two things, replacements are not sufficient, and i cannot reinstate them. When i attempt to install media feature pack from an MSU file i downloaded, it tells me: "The update is not applicable to your computer". When i try to re-enable these two things from the settings via add an optional feature, it installs them, i reboot my computer and they are not installed. I tried to have a friend send me the WMplayer exe and associated DLLS, but when i try to run it says it was not installed properly. How do i get these two features back?

Solution
Well, I understand the sentiment, but unfortunately there are myriad situations where that is the ONLY remedy, and many of them would SEEM to be lesser issues, except that even after many weeks or even months of chasing ghosts that ends up being the only option.

Reasons? F. I dunno, I just know that it ends up that way more often than not. But certainly it's worth TRYING to continue to find other options if you have the time and inclination to do so. Perhaps it IS something related to a recent Windows update, etc. And PERHAPS there is a less intrusive solution to the problem. I don't know that either. What I DO know is that YOUR case is the first one I've heard of in regard to the disappearing Windows media player and what I DO know is...
Strange, because I have FIVE computers, all of different ages, all running the latest version of Windows 10, and none of them have had Windows media player "removed" upon the update completion.

Did you upgrade Windows to version 10, initially, from an older version, or did you do a clean install of Windows on this system at some point that did not leave an older version in the parent tree?

If you have not done a clean install, ever, of Windows 10, it would probably not be a bad idea at all to back up your files and settings and then do so. There is no reason you should not still have access to those applications even though they are not necessarily "part" of Windows anymore. My systems still run them fine. Are you trying to run the standard WMP or the much older "classic" WMP?

Jul 19, 2021
I installed windows 10 on a blank hard drive.
I'm not sure what version of WMP i was using before this update, but it came with windows 10.
Albeit, a fresh install would likely remedy my issue, i find that to be a bit excessive, and an option to be avoided.

Well, I understand the sentiment, but unfortunately there are myriad situations where that is the ONLY remedy, and many of them would SEEM to be lesser issues, except that even after many weeks or even months of chasing ghosts that ends up being the only option.

Reasons? F. I dunno, I just know that it ends up that way more often than not. But certainly it's worth TRYING to continue to find other options if you have the time and inclination to do so. Perhaps it IS something related to a recent Windows update, etc. And PERHAPS there is a less intrusive solution to the problem. I don't know that either. What I DO know is that YOUR case is the first one I've heard of in regard to the disappearing Windows media player and what I DO know is that more often than not when somebody has come here with a "one off" problem, the only resolution typically has been a clean install.

Now, if you want to try, you could certainly investigate the possibility of downloading a Windows media player installer as well as a Media feature pack installer, if they can still be found. No guarantees there because sources for those have been disappearing for years now, but maybe you already have the MFP installer at the least. It's certainly worth a try but if that isn't an instant remedy or even possible, then a clean install will absolutely be the most expedient remedy, bar none. Aside of course from having to reinstall your programs and set your preferences back up, but the fact that you still have access to the OS and this is not a no-boot situation might alleviate SOME of the pain of that.

The only other option I can think of, and it's an unlikely remedy because I doubt the problem is related, is perhaps to try using the DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth procedure followed by an SFC Scannow, and maybe the problem is merely a file system bork, but I'm doubtful of that.

Perhaps others might have better insights, it certainly happens from time to time, but again, I'm not terribly hopeful because this definitely seems more like a one off type situation to me. And those do happen, for whatever reason.

Also, I've invited some other very skilled members to chime in here in case they have better ideas than I do. And that too, happens.

Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
Last edited:
Reactions: Darkbreeze
Yes, which version of update it is might make a very big difference, as it's been a while since we've seen "this" kind of thing happen after an update with a main feature of Windows except on preview releases. Which is another thing to make sure of. Shouldn't be an issue for most people BUT if you are part of the slow or fast ring insider previews, then it's possible you could have accidentally installed the preview of 11. Doubtful, but worth making sure of IF you ARE an insider.

Colif

Win 11 Master
If he knew what KB was of the windows update is that changed it, I could go look at what it was meant to do, and any known problems it causes.

I wasn't thinking about the update being a version update (more just a Cumulative one). It doesn't take a version update to mess up windows. They often seem to fix what CU have done.

knowing what version of Windows he is on could mean we could try a repair install - https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...s-10-with-a-30-minute-repair-install.3707873/ but he would need a copy of the ISO for the installed version.

Unless when you install win 11 as an update it doesn't change desktop UI, I think he would have noticed if he was on 11. All the menus are in different places. and the start menu is right in middle of screen.

Win 11 is on Dev ring of Insiders, not sure whats available on the other 2 layers as I don't use Insiders myself. You can't accidentally get 11 unless you on that ring.

You can't accidentally get 11 unless you on that ring.
Right. As I've said before in another thread, you normally can't accidentally get it no matter what ring you are on. There are multiple required inputs from the user that would cause them to know they were getting it, but I try to never discount the possibility of somebody being the first to encounter some weird one off situation. But I totally agree.

And I think you are on the right track with needing to know what the last KB update was prior to the problem happening.

D

Deleted member 14196

can the OP use system restore to get it back

did the OP run any amelioration script or a debloating script?

Colif

Win 11 Master
I think updates meant to create restore points. I feel it still help to know if they had any more updates since this update that broke things, as that would just complicate system restore.

That is assuming when they install the update again it doesn't do it again.

its random as I can't find anyone else with problem this year.

I'm not sure what version of WMP i was using before this update, but it came with windows 10.
Windows media player is windows component.
Go into Control Panel/Programs and Features/Turn Windows Features on or off
and reinstall Windows Media Player.

Can be done also from Settings/Apps/Apps and Features/Optional Features

Jul 19, 2021
Do you happen to know which update it was?

try
settings/apps/apps & features
optional features
Add a feature
Windows Media Player
click install

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...s/f7988e01-02db-4273-90a1-01b5096f547f?auth=1

that was 2 years ago so which version of win 10 are you on?
  1. right click start
  2. choose run...
  3. type winver and press enter
  4. current version is 21H1
Windows media player is windows component.
Go into Control Panel/Programs and Features/Turn Windows Features on or off
and reinstall Windows Media Player.

Can be done also from Settings/Apps/Apps and Features/Optional Features
i said i already tried this in the original post

D

Deleted member 14196

I think updates meant to create restore points. I feel it still help to know if they had any more updates since this update that broke things, as that would just complicate system restore.

That is assuming when they install the update again it doesn't do it again.

its random as I can't find anyone else with problem this year.
restore can be disabled though as well.

And that has been the whole point from the beginning. If you can make the change, but NOTHING changes, then you WILL likely need to do a clean install. It sucks, I get it. I've been there, even with FULLY backed up systems, but sometimes it just IS what it IS. But if you want to spend weeks instead of hours getting it fixed, that is of course always your own choice and option.

D

Deleted member 14196

And that has been the whole point from the beginning. If you can make the change, but NOTHING changes, then you WILL likely need to do a clean install. It sucks, I get it. I've been there, even with FULLY backed up systems, but sometimes it just IS what it IS. But if you want to spend weeks instead of hours getting it fixed, that is of course always your own choice and option.
I know right? The OP could’ve already solve the problem by now instead of wasting all this time

Status
Not open for further replies.