Windows Media Player (or codec) problem

Hi all,

Im having problems with Sound and Video output on my computer.

This affects
playback of MPEG and WMV videos in Windows Media Player
playback of Sound files in Open MG Jukebox (sony)
playing of DVDs with Power DVD and Windows Media Player

What it doesn't affect is
Playback of DVDs with WinDVD (Until you try and load another one and the
system crashes)
Any play back in WinAmp 5 through either DirectSound or Wave Out

Sound Card:
I have both onboard sound and a SB Live 5.1, this is unlikleyto be the cause
as the system has worked perfectly for a year that way (i have the ONboard
enabled because of sound problems in some games associated to SB Lives, I
have a 3.5mm stereo lead going between the output of the on board and the
input of the SB Live. I have tried unplugging this just in case but that was
before I noticed the speed problem)

What Happens:

When playing any of the problematic combinations listed above I get very
warbly sound, and the speed of playback is 13 Seconds to show 10 seconds of
video or audio.

Suspicions:
I installed XVid before this started happening however I dont' know for sure
if this is the culprit.
I have since uninstalled XVid but this didn't fix the problem.

Has anyone else suffered a simialr problem and managed to fix without
reinstalling.

I hope this is enough info about the problem for someone to help but if
anyone needs more info then please ask.

Thanks
Niall

Use just one sound card, which is normal, and see if the problem persists.
Because you have such an "unorthodox) arrangement it could be almost
anything.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

"Niall Wallace" <Some@bloke.com.Fake.Addy> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> Im having problems with Sound and Video output on my computer.
>
> This affects
> playback of MPEG and WMV videos in Windows Media Player
> playback of Sound files in Open MG Jukebox (sony)
> playing of DVDs with Power DVD and Windows Media Player
>
> What it doesn't affect is
> Playback of DVDs with WinDVD (Until you try and load another one and the
> system crashes)
> Any play back in WinAmp 5 through either DirectSound or Wave Out
>
> Sound Card:
> I have both onboard sound and a SB Live 5.1, this is unlikleyto be the
> cause as the system has worked perfectly for a year that way (i have the
> ONboard enabled because of sound problems in some games associated to SB
> Lives, I have a 3.5mm stereo lead going between the output of the on board
> and the input of the SB Live. I have tried unplugging this just in case
> but that was before I noticed the speed problem)
>
> What Happens:
>
> When playing any of the problematic combinations listed above I get very
> warbly sound, and the speed of playback is 13 Seconds to show 10 seconds
> of video or audio.
>
> Suspicions:
> I installed XVid before this started happening however I dont' know for
> sure if this is the culprit.
> I have since uninstalled XVid but this didn't fix the problem.
>
> Has anyone else suffered a simialr problem and managed to fix without
> reinstalling.
>
> I hope this is enough info about the problem for someone to help but if
> anyone needs more info then please ask.
>
> Thanks
> Niall

> Use just one sound card, which is normal, and see if the problem persists.
> Because you have such an "unorthodox) arrangement it could be almost
> anything.

Tried that, no difference, have tried updating both sound cards drivers too
(not that Creative have produced much in the way of updates recently)

One thing i forgot to mention

I was able to remove and reinstall all Audio Codecs but when i tried to
uninstall all video codecs they just reappeared after I rebooted.