Question Windows Media Player or Winamp can't play mounted CD image

DVS75

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2012
I have an image (bin/cue) of an old game compact disk that conained both data and audio tracks.

PowerISO (7.4) identifies these tracks as CDA and can play them.

However, when I mount this image on a virtual drive with either PowerISO, or WinCDEmu, or Virtual CloneDrive, then both Windows Media Player nor Winamp (5.8) can't play it. Both say the disc is empty.

To complicate the issue the original physical disk is most probably gone.

Please let me know how I should change the image, so that it can be played freely by Windows (10 Pro 64-bit) programs.

Thank you!

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
have you tried extracting the files from the image? sometimes that helps, especially if the image is an old one likely created with old software. new software may be having an issue reading from something created with older stuff.

that would be my first try anyway

DVS75

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2012
After I had extracted tracks in WAV format and then remade an ISO as a pure audio CD, all programs started to see the music ("burnt" again as CDA).

Recreating ISO as a mixed mode CD (otherwise you couldn't add game files) in the latest registered version of PowerISO (7.4) was of no avail – music still could not be seen.

But the game (Quake 2) still says that there is no CD in player (all in vain). :)

Last edited:
Audio players would not be able to play game disks even if they had audio tracks on them. To see things as an audio CD the disk needs to be setup in a special way. It's not an issue with the players or with the mounting software, just because there are audio files there, does not mean that a disk player will see them. Try playing this disk in your car CD player or standard CD player and see what happens.

Reactions: DVS75