windows media player sound, but no video

when I try to play a movie preview with either media player 9 or 10, I get
good audio but a black video window... the media seems to be mpeg-4 video v3
if that helps any... PLEASE Help!!! I'm sure it's operator error of some
sort on my end!

It may be you don't have the codec to play it properly or can you normally
see viudeos on this monitor, as if overlay is not supported on the monitor
you are using you will also ge this result.

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media

"chris..." <chris...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> when I try to play a movie preview with either media player 9 or 10, I get
> good audio but a black video window... the media seems to be mpeg-4 video
> v3
> if that helps any... PLEASE Help!!! I'm sure it's operator error of
> some
> sort on my end!

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

I suspected a codec problem from reading the help text... but I don't get
how to check it... some previews (few) do play. I'm using a panasonic CF-18
tablet pc... any way to know what I need to do? Thak you for your first
post, I feel I'm close to an answere,
Chris

"Graham Hughes" wrote:

> It may be you don't have the codec to play it properly or can you normally
> see viudeos on this monitor, as if overlay is not supported on the monitor
> you are using you will also ge this result.
>
> --
> Graham Hughes
> MVP Digital Media
> www.myvideoproblems.co.uk
> www.dvds2treasure.com
> www.simplydv.com
>

> "chris..." <chris...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > when I try to play a movie preview with either media player 9 or 10, I get
> > good audio but a black video window... the media seems to be mpeg-4 video
> > v3
> > if that helps any... PLEASE Help!!! I'm sure it's operator error of
> > some
> > sort on my end!

Use something like GSpot to tell you what the codec is that you need and
then google search. Try to just install the one codec, don't go for a codec
pack.
http://www.myvideoproblems.com/Web%20Pages/UsefulProgrammes.htm

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media

>I suspected a codec problem from reading the help text... but I don't get
> how to check it... some previews (few) do play. I'm using a panasonic
> CF-18
> tablet pc... any way to know what I need to do? Thak you for your first
> post, I feel I'm close to an answere,
> Chris
>
> "Graham Hughes" wrote:
>
>> It may be you don't have the codec to play it properly or can you
>> normally
>> see viudeos on this monitor, as if overlay is not supported on the
>> monitor
>> you are using you will also ge this result.
>>
>> --
>> Graham Hughes
>> MVP Digital Media
>> www.myvideoproblems.co.uk
>> www.dvds2treasure.com
>> www.simplydv.com
>>

>> "chris..." <chris...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > when I try to play a movie preview with either media player 9 or 10, I
>> > get
>> > good audio but a black video window... the media seems to be mpeg-4
>> > video
>> > v3
>> > if that helps any... PLEASE Help!!! I'm sure it's operator error of
>> > some
>> > sort on my end!

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

Graham, Thank you for your Gspot program. I think I'm close but still having
trouble. I ran gspot on a desktop saved, video previw with a ".wmv"
extention. Gspot gave me a display; "Direct Show claims to be able to play
the file" using Mpeg 43 Decoder DMO and Video Renderer. I still have sound
but no video... What else might I try???
Thanks so much for your help with this,
Chris

"Graham Hughes" wrote:

> Use something like GSpot to tell you what the codec is that you need and
> then google search. Try to just install the one codec, don't go for a codec
> pack.
> http://www.myvideoproblems.com/Web%20Pages/UsefulProgrammes.htm
>
> --
> Graham Hughes
> MVP Digital Media
> www.myvideoproblems.co.uk
> www.dvds2treasure.com
> www.simplydv.com
>

> "Chris" <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I suspected a codec problem from reading the help text... but I don't get
> > how to check it... some previews (few) do play. I'm using a panasonic
> > CF-18
> > tablet pc... any way to know what I need to do? Thak you for your first
> > post, I feel I'm close to an answere,
> > Chris
> >
> > "Graham Hughes" wrote:
> >
> >> It may be you don't have the codec to play it properly or can you
> >> normally
> >> see viudeos on this monitor, as if overlay is not supported on the
> >> monitor
> >> you are using you will also ge this result.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Graham Hughes
> >> MVP Digital Media
> >> www.myvideoproblems.co.uk
> >> www.dvds2treasure.com
> >> www.simplydv.com
> >>

> >> "chris..." <chris...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

beleive it or not, try playing it in VirtualDub (
http://tinyurl.com/9dmm2 ) and uncheck Options->Allow video overlays
.... I have just found out that it's the only way I can play movie on
my newly acquired old notebook with video card which doesn't know
overlays, I am currently trying to find other player, but for the time
being VirtualDub is the only way for me, maybe it can help you... cause
in other players, I get sound, but no video , regardless of what decoder
settings with codec I choose.

--
hexanirPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

This fixed the 'sound but no video' problem in Windows Media Player for
me:

1. Start Windows Media Player;
2. If not maximised, maximise Windows Media Player;
3. On the menu bar, choose TOOLS then OPTIONS;
4. Select the PERFORMANCE tab;
5. Move the 'video acceleration' setting off 'Full'
6. Click on the OK button;
7. Close Windows Media Player;

(Info: WinXP SP2, Windows Media Player 10, AMD XP3200, 512MB RAM)

--
badteethPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

I have been fighting this problem for about a week.
Have loaded and fallen back numerous programs and visa-versa.
Several system restores to earlier versions did NOT help at all.
Moving the video acceleration down from full SOLVED the problem.
Thank you.

xgmx

I have a solution to your problem. This has worked for me, and I hope, it will work for you. I am the owner and founder of a electronics community known as Core. Since I founded Core on April 19, 2009, it has become a hub for tech support and discussion alike. Alright, so here is how you can rectify your most unfortunate problem. Try to play the audio or video file that you are trying to play. When you see the "!" next to the file name in Windows Media Player, you should right click (not left click) on the name of the file next to the "!". Upon doing so, please click on "Show Information on the Bug" or something like that. Then you should go to "WMPlugins.com". If this does not happen, does not work, or it doesn't have that thing to click on (or something else), then you can go to the official Core forum for WMPlugins.com and ask for assistance, this forum can be found at the following URL: http://s1.zetaboards.com/CoreWWW/forum/848809/

Sincerely,
strikesback5
admiralxgmx@yahoo.com
http://s1.zetaboards.com/ssfree/index/
http://s1.zetaboards.com/CoreWWW/index/
http://s1.zetaboards.com/The_Alliance/index/
http://www.reenactor.cz.tc/
http://z8.invisionfree.com/Total_Recall_Forums

ufc3app

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2011

This fixed the 'sound but no video' problem in Windows Media Player for
me:

1. Start Windows Media Player;
2. If not maximised, maximise Windows Media Player;
3. On the menu bar, choose TOOLS then OPTIONS;
4. Select the PERFORMANCE tab;
5. Move the 'video acceleration' setting off 'Full'
6. Click on the OK button;
7. Close Windows Media Player;

(Info: WinXP SP2, Windows Media Player 10, AMD XP3200, 512MB RAM)

--
badteethPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

This worked great for me !!!!