Question Windows Mostly Locking UP

Eric92

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2014
I've been having a persistent issue with Windows. This has occurred over two systems. I'll always be watching a stream on Twitch (it only happened once in a discord call with screen being shared) and first the stream will freeze up, chat will get very choppy, and then windows itself will sort of freeze up.

What I mean by this is that I can still move my mouse around and even close some things (not all) but its very clearly not working properly. I can open task manager but the processes and performance sections will not update. And I'll be left with a ghost of the "Task Manager" button I click on after right clicking the task bar.

I'm really at a loss for what this could be. It started late in my other PC's life and has continued with another PC. All they have in common is the case, one NVME drive, and a cpu cooler. The install on the new PC was a fresh install from boot media created on the old PC.

I'm not sure what to do at this point aside from wiping the computer and doing a fresh install again.

I've been having a persistent issue with Windows. This has occurred over two systems. I'll always be watching a stream on Twitch (it only happened once in a discord call with screen being shared) and first the stream will freeze up, chat will get very choppy, and then windows itself will sort of freeze up.

What I mean by this is that I can still move my mouse around and even close some things (not all) but its very clearly not working properly. I can open task manager but the processes and performance sections will not update. And I'll be left with a ghost of the "Task Manager" button I click on after right clicking the task bar.

I'm really at a loss for what this could be. It started late in my other PC's life and has continued with another PC. All they have in common is the case, one NVME drive, and a cpu cooler. The install on the new PC was a fresh install from boot media created on the old PC.

I'm not sure what to do at this point aside from wiping the computer and doing a fresh install again.
system specs almost sounds like outdated system/dying system

Eric92

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2014
system specs almost sounds like outdated system/dying system
Well it happened on a 4790K, with a Asus Z97-A mobo, GTX 1080, 750W PSU, and 16 gigs of hyperx fury ram which was 6 years old.

But it's also continued on a brand new 5800X, x570 aorus master, RTX 3080, 1000W PSU, and 32 gigs of g.skilll tridentz neo. < this also has a fresh windows install. The only part in it from the old system is the case, aio, and one nvme that was formatted before being moved over.

Well it happened on a 4790K, with a Asus Z97-A mobo, GTX 1080, 750W PSU, and 16 gigs of hyperx fury ram which was 6 years old.

But it's also continued on a brand new 5800X, x570 aorus master, RTX 3080, 1000W PSU, and 32 gigs of g.skilll tridentz neo. < this also has a fresh windows install. The only part in it from the old system is the case, aio, and one nvme that was formatted before being moved over.
Okay so nither should be because of being out of date even the old one still will run windows like butter. have you ran virus scans on them made sure no one infected the systems? or your router making a door to all pc on it?

Eric92

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2014
Okay so nither should be because of being out of date even the old one still will run windows like butter. have you ran virus scans on them made sure no one infected the systems? or your router making a door to all pc on it?
I'm confident it's not malware. I have scanned. The crash itself is pretty inconsistent. I haven't had the issue for a few weeks now but then suddenly it returned today.

In Event Viewer there isn't even any error report at the moment. Only a log for when the system had to be powered off by me and was restarted.

I can't find any commonality apart from it's only happened while watching Twitch and once via discord.

I'm confident it's not malware. I have scanned. The crash itself is pretty inconsistent. I haven't had the issue for a few weeks now but then suddenly it returned today.

In Event Viewer there isn't even any error report at the moment. Only a log for when the system had to be powered off by me and was restarted.

I can't find any commonality apart from it's only happened while watching Twitch and once via discord.
Run cmd as admin and try sfc /scannow

And you check the health of all disk?

TRENDING THREADS