Windows Much Safer After Microsoft Killed Autorun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunderfox

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
The mystery is why it was enabled for removable devices in the first place. Seems like a rather obvious risk with no widespread practical purpose.

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
I completely realize the convenience factor, but the issue I had was how difficult it was to turn off in XP. In Win7, it's simple to disable...XP, not so much.

GenKhan2

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
1. I'm impressed at how low the infection rates are period.

2. That my friends is why Windows is the world's premier operating system; a culture of continuous improvement based on measurable metrics.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
This "article" looks to me like no other but Microsoft propaganda.
Now if Microsoft would do something to stop infections thru the internet that would be something huge. But locally on my own PC? I have no fear of infections ever, not even a cold.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]c0oim4n[/nom]The words "Windows" and "safe" in the same sentence? I thought it wasn't possible....?[/citation]
Why? Do you need some help or instruction on how to configure your systems?

Neverdyne

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
This "article" looks to me like no other but Microsoft propaganda.
Now if Microsoft would do something to stop infections thru the internet that would be something huge. But locally on my own PC? I have no fear of infections ever, not even a cold.

The biggest spread of infections I've seen in my College is through USB Flash Drives.

Remember people, if you're going to share, use protection!

triculious

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
unfortunately there are still millions of morons -erm- users out there who keep opening every other mail they get and every link they see, sorry but MS can't be held responsible for people being dumb

whobannedme

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
[citation][nom]neverdyne[/nom]The biggest spread of infections I've seen in my College is through USB Flash Drives.Remember people, if you're going to share, use protection![/citation]

Don't put your USB stick in someone's USB port if they don't have protection or if you don't know what disease you have!

vvhocare5

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
One has to step back in time almost 15 years when MS brought out Autorun - it wasnt a horrible idea for that time.

The feature has been subverted by the malware kids along with the blinding stupidity of people who click on anything. Today you would be an idiot to have Autorun on. Forget Autorun, my mom would still click on any file called grandmothers_cookbook.* even if she didnt ask for it.
I swear bricks could be taught to be smarter about these files... :)

[citation][nom]GenKhan2[/nom]1. I'm impressed at how low the infection rates are period.[/citation]If you look at the qualifiers in that chart title such as a. reported by MSRT and b. Major Auto-Run Abusing Families (which might mean anything MS wants it to mean) there is probably a much, much higher infection rate.

modinn

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2010
The words "Windows" and "safe" in the same sentence? I thought it wasn't possible....?
Trolling much?

The problem isn't the computer or the OS. 99% of the time, it's the fault of the object sitting between the keyboard and the chair. Give MS a break and don't accuse them for something they have little control over.

hoof_hearted

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
I never understood why they have so many "autorun" hooks within their OSes:

c:\autoexec.bat
c:\config.sys
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
Services
WIN.INI
SYSTEM.INI
DOSSTART.BAT
WINSTART.BAT

All these things do is allow "vendors" to put crap on your computer that runs all the time. I don't think Adobe needs to be able to nag me in realtime. I remember the days when these were called TSR (terminate and stay resident). This is where most viruses, adware, malware, bloatware, and gemneral crapware like to go. I remember cleaning AOL off of someones computer manually. Those assholes put an icon or hook everywhere they possible could. I paid for this computer, I really dont want all this crap on it.

Anyway, enough ranting. If anyone knows of a plain text comprehensive list of all known start-when-the-computer-starts hooks that can kick off executable code, that would be great. Maybe even something that spans all the Windows versions.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
The label in the vertical axis of the graph doesn't make sense.
Never liked autorun feature. Always disable it immediately after any windows installation.

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
I'm curious why Windows XP SP2 saw such a large infection rate reduction during the same time period comparisons, given that it was not changed. If we apply that change rate as a baseline to the other versions, then the decreases are not as great.

Status
Not open for further replies.