Windows must shut down to prevent damage(blue screen)Help needed.

csquared587

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2007
kay, here I am recording a new song when all of the sudden a blue screen flashes on my PC saying,

"windows has detected an error and must shutdown immediately to prevent damage to your PC"

And it shut it self down, making me lose my new song.

It turned back on by itself, but now Im worried. I built this PC in October, and its been running perfect. I just installed an M-audio revolution last night, but I dont see why that would case a problem. Its been running fine for 24 hours. Does anyone know what happened?

Im using Windows Vista 32.

Q6600 @ 2.4 gHz
8800 GTS 640 mb
2 gigs ram
Gigabyte DS3r mobo
M audio revolution 5.1
Vista 32

akhilles

Splendid
It's a big problem. My family pc just had the same thing only it was a trojan which I killed in safe mode. I saw the same error.

What's your installed software? Do a full virus scan. Scandisk thoroughly. Clean the registry. Update Vista.

jj14

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
The first thing to check would be to get details of the blue screen - Right-click on the Computer icon and choose Properties.
Click on Advanced system settings.
Click the Settings button under "Startup and Recovery".
Uncheck the option for Automatically restart under the System failure section.

Now, if the problem recurs, the computer will leave the error code (related to the blue screen) on your screen. You can jot them down and google the hex code and see if others are encountering the same problem - and hopefully, get a solution there.

One other thing to do would be go into event viewer and look for critical errors around the time of your bluescreen. That might give you a hint of what might be causing this.

HTH

truromeo4juliet

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
No offense, but I would recommend ignoring Akhille's first post... it's almost like the blind leading the blind... I trust your know-how sometimes, akhilles, but your post was too general...

jj14 is right, get the information by haulting the Automatic restart on System failure using the steps he mentioned above...

the error code you'll be needing will be something like "0x0000000C" or something like that (0x[8 characters here] ...that's an example of the 'hex code' that jj14 was referring to)

Your M-Audio, I assume it's self-powered by USB (I have an older M-Audio product similar to the MobilePre USB, which I also use for creating songs [i sing in my spare time])...

What are the specs of that power supply you're using? poor power can cause a lot of headache, especially when it comes to a blue screen, because it's usually the last suspect! And what KIND of ram are you using? Corsair XMS and A-Data Generic are two TOTALLY different ballgames of memory, and can make a very large difference when it comes to stability of your system :)

jj14

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
I agree - it could be an underpowered PSU - you are running the 8800GTS 640 which has relatively high requirements on the 12A rail.

One thing to try before you change hardware might be to apply the reliability updates for Vista (These are not available using windows update - you have to download them manually)
I've listed some of these updates here for you - (KB938194, KB941649, KB938979, KB941651, KB925528) - go to microsoft's download site, search by these KB #s, and verify that these apply to Vista 32 bit. Download and install (some may not install, stating that it is not needed, in the pre-install-verify stage - that happened to me, but at least 2-3 installed). That resolved the (only) two issues that have had with Vista 32 on my build.

Who knows - these updates might resolve your woes :)
Keep us posted on how it turns out

truromeo4juliet

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
my apologies, the M-Audio Revolution 5.1 is an M-Audio sound card (i wasn't aware they made sound cards) haha... but yea, could still be a PSU problem, but pay attention to jj's 2nd post about the updates, any update for vista is usually a welcomed one :)