Windows/My computer crashes upon shutting down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toa

Honorable
Feb 2, 2014
2 things happen when I attempt a shutdown, sometimes it freezes at the shutdown screen and I have to manually power it off, or I'll tell it to shut down but it only reboots. Though, I am able to shut it off properly when it boots up the second time. I assume it has something to do with a program I am running, because like I said I can shut it off after I reboot it (when I have not run any programs yet). I have heard it may be my antivirus, I have malwarebytes and avira, and avira. Sometimes when I try and shut it down I'll get a message that some random file with a bunch of numbers can't be closed out of, and it'll ask if I should terminate it anyways. I do but then it just results in the same thing it usually does, either the shut down freezes or it just reboots. I can't think of anything that I've downloaded recently that might have affected me, as the last thing I downloaded was some game from steam. I've had my computer built since christmas and this problem has only started since a few days ago. Please help if you can!

Toa

Honorable
Feb 2, 2014

Yes, but when I went back to msconfig after the "shutdown" none of my settings were saved and everything was still checked. So I don't know if it ever actually took affect or if that's supposed to happen.

UPDATE: Disregard everything else I said, it did fix my problem and the settings were saved. However I do not want all of those unchecked all the time, so do I just trial and error it until I figure out which one is the troublemaker?

Toa

Honorable
Feb 2, 2014
Yeah I got it to stay unchecked this time, for whatever reason it wouldn't save before. Anyways, it's seemingly worked as far as I can tell. But now what do I do, uncheck them one by one to see what works?

Exactly. So by doing the above results in your shutdown issue not replicating, re-enable those non Microsoft services one by one or in groups of three (if there is a lot). This way you can find out what service is causing your shutdowns to freeze.

Status
Not open for further replies.