[SOLVED] Windows needs to activate after changing motherboard.

GoldenCrepe

Reputable
Jan 1, 2020
Alright, a few weeks ago, my motherboard died on me, meaning I couldn't get onto the computer. I fixed it a few days ago (had to replace the motherboard), and It says "Activate Windows" at the bottom. I already paid for windows about half a year ago, and since my motherboard died, I couldn't connect the activation code to my Microsoft account. Is there any way I can activate windows without having to pay for it again?

Solution
Was your user on the last motherboard linked to an email address?
If so, could check to see if the license might be linked to that email address
GO here and try to login using that users email and password - https://account.microsoft.com/account?lang=en-ie
once logged in, click the devices tab
logon again
it should show your PC here, click show Details.
Its not detailed enough to show motherbaord here but well, it might at least prove your pc was linked to that email address, and you could contact MS and explain what you did, and they might reactivate new PC for you.

USAFRet

Titan
Alright, a few weeks ago, my motherboard died on me, meaning I couldn't get onto the computer. I fixed it a few days ago (had to replace the motherboard), and It says "Activate Windows" at the bottom. I already paid for windows about half a year ago, and since my motherboard died, I couldn't connect the activation code to my Microsoft account. Is there any way I can activate windows without having to pay for it again?
Activation troubleshooter.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

GoldenCrepe

Reputable
Jan 1, 2020
No one ever has any idea of the date of death that some piece of hardware might "die".
Motherboard, storage device, whatever.

If you can't clicky clicky activate it, this is when you call MS, talk to a human, and plead your case.
There is no magic out here to make it work.
Alright, It's only about $10 from a few websites, I was just seeing If I could spare it. I would talk to microsoft but I don't think it will do anything since I bought it from URCDKEY, and the only proof of purchase is an email back in January. Thank you for your help, though! I really do appreciate it.

Alright, It's only about $10 from a few websites, I was just seeing If I could spare it. I would talk to microsoft but I don't think it will do anything since I bought it from URCDKEY, and the only proof of purchase is an email back in January. Thank you for your help, though! I really do appreciate it.
I doubt a dodgy key from a place like that would be supported by MS.

Reactions: GoldenCrepe

Colif

Win 11 Master
Was your user on the last motherboard linked to an email address?
If so, could check to see if the license might be linked to that email address
GO here and try to login using that users email and password - https://account.microsoft.com/account?lang=en-ie
once logged in, click the devices tab
logon again
it should show your PC here, click show Details.
Its not detailed enough to show motherbaord here but well, it might at least prove your pc was linked to that email address, and you could contact MS and explain what you did, and they might reactivate new PC for you.

Reactions: GoldenCrepe
Solution