Question Windows network share won’t remember credentials

kaleem104

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2014
Greetings and thank you in advance for reading 🤗.
I am using a synology NAS and have it mounted as a network share and it works great for the most part. Except every time I power on my computer it asks for credentials. I tried the “remember me” option in the credentials box but that seems to do nothing. Overall it’s not a big deal on my PC since I can just type in the credentials every time. But the issue I am starting to run into is that I am trying to set up a little at home media server on a intel NUC. This one will not have a monitor or keyboard connected on a regular basis. I am planning on setting up it once and tucking it inside a bookshelf. I am wondering if I need to do something special between windows or the NAS. In order to make them play nice without me getting involved every time? My attempts to find answers just lead to other posts with similar sounding but different issues. Any advice or insight would be appreciated.

TLDR; windows 11 network share won’t remember credentials when the “remember me” box is checked every time.

Devices involved:
Symbology Diskstation 920+
Intel NUC 8, and a desktop I built both running windows 11 with latest updates.

This is a good question, because my QNAP does the same thing and I have never been able to resolve it even with the help of several very experienced network guys here. Both browser and Qfinder or even Windows file explorer based attempts to connect, or attempts to connect via Plex or QNAP media server app ALL require me to log on every time no matter than "remember my credentials" is enabled. Fairly certain this is a Windows issue, not a Synology or QNAP issue.

Greetings and thank you in advance for reading 🤗.
I am using a synology NAS and have it mounted as a network share and it works great for the most part. Except every time I power on my computer it asks for credentials. I tried the “remember me” option in the credentials box but that seems to do nothing. Overall it’s not a big deal on my PC since I can just type in the credentials every time. But the issue I am starting to run into is that I am trying to set up a little at home media server on a intel NUC. This one will not have a monitor or keyboard connected on a regular basis. I am planning on setting up it once and tucking it inside a bookshelf. I am wondering if I need to do something special between windows or the NAS. In order to make them play nice without me getting involved every time? My attempts to find answers just lead to other posts with similar sounding but different issues. Any advice or insight would be appreciated.

TLDR; windows 11 network share won’t remember credentials when the “remember me” box is checked every time.

Devices involved:
Symbology Diskstation 920+
Intel NUC 8, and a desktop I built both running windows 11 with latest updates.
Let's start at the beginning: How are you trying to access the NAS? Starting with your desktop, if you click the This PC icon and then the Network entry in the left panel, does the NAS show up on the top section labelled Computer next to the icon or entry for your computer? If not its not properly configured so that's a NAS setup issue. If it does appear on the top line and you can't automatically access it when you click it, that would be a Windows problem. You could check your Advanced Sharing Settings to make sure all of them are turned on including the Media Streaming settings.

If you're still having problems tell us exactly what you're doing when you turn the nuc on to help us see where the problem might be.

USAFRet

Titan
This is a good question, because my QNAP does the same thing and I have never been able to resolve it even with the help of several very experienced network guys here. Both browser and Qfinder or even Windows file explorer based attempts to connect, or attempts to connect via Plex or QNAP media server app ALL require me to log on every time no matter than "remember my credentials" is enabled. Fairly certain this is a Windows issue, not a Synology or QNAP issue.
And on my Q, going through File Explorer, from multiple systems...I don't think it has failed to connect in almost 6 years.
No credential issues at all.

I'm sure that both their issue and mine are definitely related to a settings issue in Windows, but I've not sure what it is. I've gone through this stuff so many times in the past, and we are talking this was the same back on every version of Windows 10 for the last four years and now on Windows 11 as well.

kaleem104

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2014
Let's start at the beginning: How are you trying to access the NAS? Starting with your desktop, if you click the This PC icon and then the Network entry in the left panel, does the NAS show up on the top section labelled Computer next to the icon or entry for your computer? If not its not properly configured so that's a NAS setup issue. If it does appear on the top line and you can't automatically access it when you click it, that would be a Windows problem. You could check your Advanced Sharing Settings to make sure all of them are turned on including the Media Streaming settings.

If you're still having problems tell us exactly what you're doing when you turn the nuc on to help us see where the problem might be.

I am trying to access it as one of the mounted network shares. I did map network drive on my PC, and mounted the NAS to to letter S and it shows up as such however after each reboot or power on, the "S" drive has a red x on it and if I click it it prompts me for credentials. Once those are provided it works as expected until my computer is powered off.

As for your question regarding what's in the "Network" section. It does show up there under Computer and from there I can navigate to the drive without needing to provide credentials. Until now I never thought to check there. Can this be used with other applications? and how do I reference the path? With the mounted share I could simply do S:/this_is_my_media_folder but this one. I checked properties on one of the folders and it shows up as: \\synology\folderName but when I try to go into that directory from a command line it tells me it doesn't exist.

I am trying to access it as one of the mounted network shares. I did map network drive on my PC, and mounted the NAS to to letter S and it shows up as such however after each reboot or power on, the "S" drive has a red x on it and if I click it it prompts me for credentials. Once those are provided it works as expected until my computer is powered off.

As for your question regarding what's in the "Network" section. It does show up there under Computer and from there I can navigate to the drive without needing to provide credentials. Until now I never thought to check there. Can this be used with other applications? and how do I reference the path? With the mounted share I could simply do S:/this_is_my_media_folder but this one. I checked properties on one of the folders and it shows up as: \\synology\folderName but when I try to go into that directory from a command line it tells me it doesn't exist.
Which command line are you referring to? If you type that in the box at the top of the Windows Explorer file manager screen that syntax you work.

You should also be able to create a shortcut on your desktop with that syntax \\synology\foldername where it would always be available. You can also pin this shortcut to your Windows 11 Start panel.

Windows 11 is a little strange when it comes to pinning something to the taskbar. If you want a taskbar icon for your server you have to use a longer shortcut

c:\windows\explorer.exe \\synology\foldername

That's about the shortest 1 click way to access your server. This also works from most command lines but the taskbar icon seems easiest.

Last edited:

kaleem104

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2014
Which command line are you referring to? If you type that in the box at the top of the Windows Explorer file manager screen that syntax you work.

You should also be able to create a shortcut on your desktop with that syntax \\synology\foldername where it would always be available. You can also pin this shortcut to your Windows 11 Start panel.

Windows 11 is a little strange when it comes to pinning something to the taskbar. If you want a taskbar icon for your server you have to use a longer shortcut

c:\windows\explorer.exe \\synology\foldername

That's about the shortest 1 click way to access your server. This also works from most command lines but the taskbar icon seems easiest.

I am using powershell that comes built into visual studio code. I tried making shortcuts to desktop, the short cut works as far as clicking goes but doesn't let me navigate to insides of the hard drive with a command line. While searching around I did find a partial solution, turns out running:
"net use <drive letter>: \\servername\sharename /persistent:yes"
connects to the NAS without having to type credentials into a box but still goes back to my problem state after a reboot. But I've heard its possible to run your own scripts at startup, never done it myself before but once I am able to do that I think that should fix my problem. Fingers crossed.