[SOLVED] Windows not booting after changing a power setting?

Forgotten_RB

Prominent
Aug 30, 2020
My laptop is not booting after I accidentally clicked the passive option in the system cooling policy in the power options settings, then my screen went black and tried to boot but a BSOD appeared the error code is CRITICAL PROCESS DIED how do I fix this?

Colif

Win 11 Master
You can't get to safe mode in win 10 unless windows can get as far as the logon screen. When does the bsod appear at startup?

This isn't a BSOD that can be avoided by going into safe mode, its a BSOD caused by windows files. Not drivers.

Active increases the fan speed before slowing the processor to maintain cooling, while Passive slows down the processor before increasing the fan speed. Passive saves a lot more power as it reduces the clock on your processor, hence giving your more battery time.

wonder how they caused a critical process bsod. I never used to see this bsod, I want to return to those days :)

problem with that bsod is it has too many possible causes. All sorts of files can stop windows in its tracks.

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB - handy boot drive.

I don't know if System restore saves power settings. It might, I know it has a copy of the registry. Try running it and see if there are any recent dates in there before your error

boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose system restore
It might ask for logon
pick most recent date, PC will restart and load WIn 10 as it was on that day.

If that doesn't help. anything on Hdd you want to save?

boot from installer
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
type notepad and press enter
in notepad, select file>open
Use file explorer to copy any files you need to save to USB or another hdd

Forgotten_RB

Prominent
Aug 30, 2020
You can't get to safe mode in win 10 unless windows can get as far as the logon screen. When does the bsod appear at startup?

This isn't a BSOD that can be avoided by going into safe mode, its a BSOD caused by windows files. Not drivers.

wonder how they caused a critical process bsod. I never used to see this bsod, I want to return to those days :)

problem with that bsod is it has too many possible causes. All sorts of files can stop windows in its tracks.

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB - handy boot drive.

I don't know if System restore saves power settings. It might, I know it has a copy of the registry. Try running it and see if there are any recent dates in there before your error

boot from installer
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose system restore
It might ask for logon

boot from installer
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
I got this error I went to a computer store to get a new ssd because the hdd I had died after like 4 months I got a system fan error "System Fan 90B" after that when I accidentally set the system cooling policy setting to passive windows would boot but would get a BSOD with error code CRITICAL PROCESS DIED do I have it wipe the whole ssd and install a new windows version?

Forgotten_RB

Prominent
Aug 30, 2020

boot from installer
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose system restore
It might ask for logon

boot from installer
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
The BSOD apperas when the loading circle thingy is finished

Colif

Win 11 Master
Solution

TRENDING THREADS