[SOLVED] Windows not booting after update

May 4, 2020
Hello everyone,
So recently I've bought a computer considered an upgrade. I installed Windows 10, and wanted to update, I installed 1507 as it told me so then rebooted, no problems. Then it told me to install 1903, I downloaded then it prepared to install then asked for restart, I did so then when it booted it got stuck on the American megatrends screen, after a moment the keyboard will stop working and I wouldn't be able to access BIOS or anything so I have to reboot. I thought maybe Windows does this or whatever so I left it on that american megatrends for like an hour but still no luck..

Note that when it's booting, it needs to boot from Windows boot manager which wasn't the case for my old computer which would actually install the latest update with no problem. Important to note that this previous computer was a pretty old one, like a decade old at most, likewise is the hard drive.

So is this a problem from my hard drive? Do I need to edit anything in the BIOS? Or is this hard drive just not compatible anymore?

Solution
Could be your 10+ years old HDD but most likely because you started with the first version of Windows 10.

1507Threshold 1N/A10240July 29, 2015

You should use Microsoft Windows Media Creation Tool with a 8GB USB flash drive and create a 1909 WIndows 10 install for any reinstall in the future.

EDIT : Windows Boot Manager is exactly what needs to be selected as the boot priority.
Could be your 10+ years old HDD but most likely because you started with the first version of Windows 10.

You should use Microsoft Windows Media Creation Tool with a 8GB USB flash drive and create a 1909 WIndows 10 install for any reinstall in the future.

EDIT : Windows Boot Manager is exactly what needs to be selected as the boot priority.

Solution
May 4, 2020

You should use Microsoft Windows Media Creation Tool with a 8GB USB flash drive and create a 1909 WIndows 10 install.
Oh, so if I download Windows 10 into a USB or such, it comes instantly with the newest version.. Thank you so much, I will see into that.

Oh, so if I download Windows 10 into a USB or such, it comes instantly with the newest version.. Thank you so much, I will see into that.

You download Windows Media Creation Tool.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10

You start the program and you follow the instruction. It will then create the Windows 10 install on the USB flash drive which can be used after that to reinstall windows by booting to the usb flash drive.

Reactions: magthe