[SOLVED] Windows not booting and endlessly in spinning circle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 21, 2019
Good day.

I build my new pc last night only to be met with problems.

I decided to load a fresh version of Windows 10 on the SSD because I used the same SSD for my OS in my previous PC. I am upgrading my hardware.
I was having trouble with the BIOS till I did a few updates on it and got the SSD to be recognized to install Windows. It ran perfectly and I've already installed programs and the latest drivers for everything. But when I restarted the PC for the first time this morning after installing all the drivers it took about 3 minutes to restart and when it came on again I was met with the ASUS logo and a continuous spinning dots that look exactly the same to the ones on Windows when you start up a PC. I went into the Bios and saw that the SSD was listed twice in the boot menu. The first one said Samsung 970 Evo 500GB but the second said Windows tool Samsung 970 Evo. If I try to boot just from the first option it goes to a black screen as says the system couldn't find an OS, with the second it boots but gives me the endlessly spinning dots.

I also noticed that the PC started to get laggy before I tried restarting. Mouse movements were jagged even though programs opened very quick and
task manager didn't show any high CPU, Ram or Disk usage.

Side Note: Ever since the first boot till now, every time I start the system the fans spin at max for about a second then go down to normal speed. I updated the BIOS to the latest one on ASUS website but it still does this.

PLEASE HELP! I had troubles before with my X470 Aorus Gaming 7 which I had to send back because it wasn't posting at all. ANY AND ALL HELP WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Asus Strix X570-E Motherboard
16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600mhz LPX Ram
Palit 2070 Super GPU
Samsung 970 Evo 500GB SSD (OS Installed)
Antec 750W Fully Modular 80+ Gold PSU

Colif

Win 11 Master
I went into the Bios and saw that the SSD was listed twice in the boot menu. The first one said Samsung 970 Evo 500GB but the second said Windows tool Samsung 970 Evo. If I try to boot just from the first option it goes to a black screen as says the system couldn't find an OS, with the second it boots but gives me the endlessly spinning dots.

reaction to 1st shows me your PC set up as GPT boot as if it were MBR, it would find the boot sector and run. GPT is expected from win 10, strange your drive showed up twice though, Reaction to 2nd is wrong though, i assume windows tool with ssd after it is it using EUFI/GPT boot method, you shouldn't get stuck in a spinning circle though.

New PC should be set up for UEFI boot and even with 2 things in boot order, it should skip one of them and use the Windows tool link to find the location on the boot drive that has the boot loader.

can you look in the boot tab of bios/advanced view and see what it says next to CSM (Compatibility Support Module). IT might be enabled by default but you could disable it

motherboard manual - https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...ING/E15200_ROG_STRIX_X570-E_GAMING_UM_WEB.pdf

Side Note: Ever since the first boot till now, every time I start the system the fans spin at max for about a second then go down to normal speed. I updated the BIOS to the latest one on ASUS website but it still does this.

this is normal, mine has done it for 4 years. BIOS starts them at max and then windows takes over and slows them down.

Had you updated all the drivers for PC before the restart?

Aug 21, 2019
Alright, so an update on the problem.

The OS gave some problems because of some weird installation error of windows. Just formatted the drive, converted to GPT and reinstalled windows. Seems to work perfectly.

On the issue with the fans is a whole other thing. Initially I thought all the fans were spinning up, however, it was just the left-hand fan on the GPU. This is a normal thing to happen. If all the fans were spinning it means there is a short somewhere. I would suggest building the pc outside of the case on the motherboard box to check if it does the same. If it's just the GPU fans everything is A-OK. See what newer GPU's from the 10 and 20 series do is regulate different fans at different speeds depending on where the GPU is the hottest. When the system boots up the safe start of the GPU starts before drivers take over. Usually, the left-hand fan/fans should spin up first and fastest because its closest to the VRM's and the core. So for safety is spins up as fast as possible for a second instead of not spinning at all.

NOTE! If your GPU does not do this it's not broken or faulty. Different manufacturers have different ways of cooling their cards and how it handles boots. I'm not sure if 9 series cards spin up as well but I would recommend checking with the manufacturer if it's designed that way. As far as I know, it should only be 10 and 20 series cards.

Hope this is helpful to someone out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.