[SOLVED] Windows not booting from ssd

Apr 1, 2020
Haivng built my new pc yesterday, I installed windows to my ssd, using the windows media creation tool on a usb. However, after finishing the install and removing the usb-drive, I was confronted with a screen saying "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected device and press a key'. When looking through my boot priority sequence I saw my ssd was only showing up as 'Hard Disk' and not 'UEFI Hard Disk' I then tried converting the disk to gpt using diskpart. This, however, did not change anything in the sequence and I was still met with this screen.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Specs:
AMD Ryzen 3600x
MSI b450 Tomahawk Max
Crucial BX500 240gb

Solution
Try again, delete all partitions and start new. When the first restart happens after loading the files, pull the usb stick and let the installation proceed. My guess is Win10 put the boot loader file on the usb stick and prevented the main drive from booting.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Try again, delete all partitions and start new. When the first restart happens after loading the files, pull the usb stick and let the installation proceed. My guess is Win10 put the boot loader file on the usb stick and prevented the main drive from booting.

Solution
Apr 1, 2020

Should I be using legacy + uefi? And how should the ssd be configured using diskpart?

Apr 1, 2020
Set to Uefi.

Watch from 3:50 and do the following.

Okay, I have my boot set to uefi, sata set to ahci, deleted all past partitions, converted my ssd to gpt, used a fresh copy of the windows media tool and installed it onto the ssd, and yet when the system reloads after the setup to continue the rest of it, and I pull out the drive, my ssd is not detected so I am booted into the bios.

So with only my ssd connected now with all the right partitions, it is not being detected as an uefi drive.

Reactions: Micael Salgado

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Shouldn't be that hard.

Don't use diskpart, just let Windows do it's thing.

Delete all partitions and click next. After files load and reboot, maybe leave the usb stick in for now. I thought it was after the files loaded but could be wrong. Sorry.