Windows Not Booting

Jakerules77

Reputable
Apr 17, 2015
Hi,

I uninstalled and reinstalled my graphic driver and now windows won't boot at all... Good job AMD.

Booting in Safe Mode also doesn't work
My system restore options of cause decide not to work...
Windows Start-up repair says it can't fix the problem
Rebuilding the MBR doesn't resolve the issue
SFC /Scannow finds problems but also cannot fix the issue...
Re-installing Windows only gives me the options to save my documents not apps.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated on how to fix, I really don't want to re-install 300GB+ of applications and spend hours of my time doing so.

This is the error I get after Windows starts to boot then freezes:

96aa16c297186c280d6a2c15c0bc4708.png

I have stuck it on a virtual machine to make it easier to fix but I also still have the original drive.

Thank you!
Jake

Solution
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if the MBR reset didn't work, that means whatever this driver did, it's thoroughly trashed the MBR beyond typical repair. I'm actually impressed, most people aren't aware to reset their MBR for boot issues!

You'll have to re-install the OS. If you do a quick format, you might be able to use GetDataBack (http://www.runtime.org/data-recovery-software.htm) to retrieve some of that data, but there's no guarantees there.

Also, not sure what your config is like for backing up, but you might want to re-think the strategy. Using a snapshot tool like Rollback Rx or a disk imager like Macrium Reflect. Would help for future situations like this.

LukeFatwalker

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if the MBR reset didn't work, that means whatever this driver did, it's thoroughly trashed the MBR beyond typical repair. I'm actually impressed, most people aren't aware to reset their MBR for boot issues!

You'll have to re-install the OS. If you do a quick format, you might be able to use GetDataBack (http://www.runtime.org/data-recovery-software.htm) to retrieve some of that data, but there's no guarantees there.

Also, not sure what your config is like for backing up, but you might want to re-think the strategy. Using a snapshot tool like Rollback Rx or a disk imager like Macrium Reflect. Would help for future situations like this.

Solution