Windows not detecting new graphics card, old one fine.

thedonkill1

Prominent
Sep 28, 2017
So, I've recently bought a GTX 1070, and oh boy, was I excited. (My last card was a 750TI) I open the case, pop it in, boot it up, red lines. That's not right, I think and then switch around the HDMI cable, poof. Lines gone. I thought that was me sorted then, but nope.

Windows Aero isn't working, no driver programs pick up my card, nor does the device manager. GTA V can't start DirectX 9. My motherboard does not have onboard graphics, and I know because, without a graphics card, I have no ports at all. So, I tried my old one, perfect.

Could it be dead? But if it is, how can I see anything? The fans do spin, but not very much.

As to my specs, here they are.

CPU - AMD FX-6300 (Bottleneck city, I know. But I'm upgrading soon and didn't want to compromise on the GPU.)
GPU - Palit GTX 1070 Dual (Not the Jetstream)
8GB of DDR3 Corsair Vengence RAM
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
The PSU is either 650, or 800. No less the 650W for sure.

Solution
You need to download and install the latest drivers from NVIDIA or from Palit.
Also, be sure to plug in the aux power cable on the top of the card.

But of course it can be. I had a card that was dead and I could still play some games on it - just not the ones I would like to. Your card seems to be one step more dead - but it can still run Windows desktop. If the card does not appear in Device Manager than NVidia drivers can't be installed, and without them no game will run. RMA the card.

TRENDING THREADS