Windows not genuine after Hard drive clone

TadasS15

Reputable
Jul 17, 2015
Hello, i have recently upgraded my old HDD to a newer and faster SSHD. I have cloned my hard drive with all the partitions. Whenever i use my SSHD i get a "Windows 8.1 Pro Build 9600" watermark, that indicates that the windows have not been activated. The main problem is that i am not able to activate my windows, when i try "Activate windows online" i get a "Windows can't activate, try again later" and when i try to input "Enter a new product key" i get a "This key didn't work, please check it and try again or try a different one". I got this version of windows installed by a local computer fixers, i guarantee it was a legal copy of windows, i have used it for over a year. Whenever i connect the old HDD the windows are activate once again.

P.S. after the cloning was done i did notice (when both hard drives were connected) that i had C: D: (old HDD) and F: G: (new SSHD)

Solution
If you purchased and installed Win8 Media Center, that would have changed your 'key' and you should be using the new key. Other then that, call the 800 number on your screen to speak with a Microsoft representative to activate over the phone.

popatim

Titan
If you purchased and installed Win8 Media Center, that would have changed your 'key' and you should be using the new key. Other then that, call the 800 number on your screen to speak with a Microsoft representative to activate over the phone.

Solution