Windows not recognizing all my RAM

goodnamesalltaken

Reputable
Nov 27, 2014
Hi all, I'm using G.Skill Ripjaws Z and it's driving me insane the amount problems I've had since I built my rig (only a month and a half ago or so)

Ever since I turned on my build I've been trying to figure out this issue because Windows was only recognizing 16GB of my 32GB of RAM. I stopped caring a ton after a while because I figured I wouldn't solve it.

Then it switched to only recognizing 8GB, and I got renewed interest.

Notes to make:

* My build link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/whxwCJ

* BIOS recognizes that I have all 32 GB in.

* CPU-Z recognizes that I have all 32 GB in.

* Windows does not. Bonus image of Windows diagnostics directly next to CPU-Z at the same time from my first request for help (on reddit):
18xlpwq.png
, and one of my issue after it dropped to 8GB:
9M73yDB.png

* I have tested each stick individually, and therefore also made sure all my RAM is properly seated

* I have tried the "MemOK" button on my motherboard

* I have checked that msconfig didn't have my RAM limited

* I have set my RAM to XMP Profile 1, it's reset a few times since then and refuses to stay at profile 1.

* I have Windows 8.1 Pro x64. It supports up to 512 GB of RAM.

* Just a few minutes ago, I manually set all RAM voltage to 1.5v. Windows now recognizes 20GB of RAM. How, exactly, Windows managed to add up 20GB with sticks of RAM that all hold 8GB, I will never know.

I'm still clueless on this but it's royally upsetting me. If CPU-Z can recognize it, why can't Windows?

goodnamesalltaken

Reputable
Nov 27, 2014
Sorry for the late reply:

"Do you have latest BIOS?"

Yes

"If not get that and try enabling XMP select 2400 profile 1."

It is currently set to XMP 1

"You say you manually set the DRAM voltage to 1.5 - this is a 1.65 set, set to 1.65"

I set it to 1.5 after a long time of the 1.65 failing, but it's back to 1.65 now and only showing 24 gb

"and if still no joy, try raising the VCCSA voltage to 1.2"

This has also been done to no avail, unfortunately

"Each stick worked fine as 8GB?"

Yes, I have tried each stick in it's respectively used DIMM slot. All of the sticks function and all of the DIMM slots function.

"Have you tried adjusting your CPU and cooler installation? Too tight or too loose can cause a problem like this."

I have tried adjusting it a few times, and just a few minutes ago I entirely removed the CPU and it's cooler and cleaned them thoroughly with alcohol, then reapplied new thermal paste.

I'm still stuck at 24GB of functioning RAM. While that's admittedly more than I need for most programs, I wanted to try out that new Dimmdrive program (which is a variable RAM disk) so this limits the RAM I can use with that.

goodnamesalltaken

Reputable
Nov 27, 2014
Completely missed those responses, my bad!

Yes, I did use all four blue slots and not any of the black. The original RAM package was 8x8GB (64GB) that my friend bought but we split. As far as everyone told me, this shouldn't cause any issues

I will try raising the tRFC when I'm next home (which should be Saturday)