[SOLVED] Windows not recognizing drive

May 2, 2021
I’m building my first pc and when installing windows 10, it gives me an error saying it can’t detect the drive. However, I have a seagate barracuda 2tb hard drive that I can feel vibrating and I’ve made sure the sata cable is connected to the motherboard securely along with the cable from the power supply unit. I can’t seem to find the problem with it being recognized. It even shows up as a raid in bios but for some reason isn’t working with windows. It also doesn’t show up when I try and input the drive manually. Please help, I’m driving myself crazy.

Solution
When you run the USB installer you get to point where it asks about advanced install. Use that option and see if the drive shows up in the next screen. It should show it's partitions if there are any and such information. If this disk was part of a RAID array you may have to format it before the installer can see it.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

We're going to need more information. Please list the specs to your system like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Did you fabricate the installer for your OS using Windows Media Creation Tools? Is the storage controller set to AHCI or RAID in BIOS? You should also scope out the BIOS version for your motherboard at the time of writing.

It also doesn’t show up when I try and input the drive manually.
Do you mean, disconnecting and reconnecting while the system is powered up? If so, please stop doing that!

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
When you run the USB installer you get to point where it asks about advanced install. Use that option and see if the drive shows up in the next screen. It should show it's partitions if there are any and such information. If this disk was part of a RAID array you may have to format it before the installer can see it.

Solution
May 2, 2021
You should also scope out the BIOS version for your motherboard at the time of writin

I did fabricate the installer on a USB drive but I also have the usb that came with the windows 10 home operating system. It is set to Raid in bios. I’m not sure what version of bios I have but at the top it says asus uefi bios utility .

CPU: intel i7 10700k
Motherboard: asus rog strix z590-a
Ram: Corsair vengeance rgb pro (8gb x2) ddr4
SSD/HDD: seagate barracuda compute 2tb hard drive
GPU: msi GeForce gtx 1650 ventus xs
PSU: Corsair cxf750
Chassis: musetex atx mud tower white case

No, that’s not what I meant. Sorry for the confusion but what I meant was I pressed shift and f10 to see if the hard drive would show up there. It didn’t.