Windows not starting because of the Intel HD Graphics 4600 driver

watt2k

Reputable
Jan 18, 2015
Hello everyone,

A couple of days ago, I started my PC and could not get Windows 7 (64 bit) to start. I saw the loading screen and after it finished loading, all I got was a black screen, with my monitor saying "no signal".

It turned out the issue was with the video driver, as I went into safe mode, uninstalled it and then it worked without a problem after restart. The thing is, Windows automatically installs the "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter" driver, which is not exactly the right driver for my card.

I suppose this happened because of an update to that Intel HD Graphics 4600driver (I don't remember, it might have been updated automatically).

Can you please help me get a working driver for my onboard graphics card? Is there a way to try older drivers? Perhaps those will work correctly.

Thank you very much

Rit_86

Distinguished
Intel had updated their GPU driver on 12th of January and if you are facing the problem on or after this date, it maybe due to the faulty driver.
Here is a link to their older driver that seems to run fine in your PC
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=24348&lang=eng&ProdId=3720
Boot in to safe mode, uninstall the current driver and install the new one manually.
If it is a driver problem, this should solve your problem.
Next, check from where the automatic update is being made, especially if you are using any driver updater software and disable it.

watt2k

Reputable
Jan 18, 2015
Thanks for taking the time to reply, Rit_86!

I couldn't install it in safe mode (there was an error saying that I don't have the needed hardware etc). I just uninstalled my driver in safe mode and then I installed yours after restart, in normal mode.

Anyhow, it doesn't seem like installing the driver you mentioned fixes the problem... My monitor still says "no signal" after Windows logo while I do hear that welcome sound in my speakers. I tried with the latest update too (Jan 12th). I also reset my BIOS to default from the menu with no luck.

I'm out of ideas... any other suggestion?

Thanks

watt2k

Reputable
Jan 18, 2015
Here they are:

- MB: GIGABYTE GA-P85-D3
- CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4570 CPU @ 3.20GHz, 3192 MHz
- RAM: HyperX Blu 8GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 Dual Channel
- HDD: WD3200AVVS-6

Thanks