[SOLVED] Windows notices when monitor turns off and rearrange all icons

May 29, 2020
Hey guys,

so I got a problem with my monitor. Every time I turn it off or when it goes in power saving mode windows does somehow notice it and moves everything shown there to my secondary monitor. This inclueds every window and all the icons.

This by itself is not so bad but when it is turned back on/waked up form power safe, windows takes everything form the secondary and moves it to they main monitor. Even the windows/icons that are supposed to be on the secondary.

Also the main monitor takes a good few seconds to turn on and is in general slower than the secondary. This means every time I boot the pc or move the mouse while the monitors are in power saving mode everything gets moved to the secondary first and then everything moves to the main monitor wich means I have to readjust and move windows/icons every damn time.

Is there some way to lock the windows? Or is there a way that windows does not notice when I turn off the monitor? Just to clearify this only happens with the main monitor. When I turn off the other it just goes black and all windows stay where they are because windows has no idea if the monitor is turned on or off.

Main monitor: newegg

Secondary monitor: acer.com (just some random old monitor)

Solution
It seems that the OS thinks the monitor is removed from the setup everytime the monitor goes into power saving mode. Might want to first check and see which version of Windows 10 you're on. Then make sure you're on the latest BIOS, then use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers. Download the drivers from your manufacturer's support site and then install them manually in an elevated command, i.e Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Please include/list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
GPU:
PSU:

For good measure.

Lutfij

Titan
It seems that the OS thinks the monitor is removed from the setup everytime the monitor goes into power saving mode. Might want to first check and see which version of Windows 10 you're on. Then make sure you're on the latest BIOS, then use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers. Download the drivers from your manufacturer's support site and then install them manually in an elevated command, i.e Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Please include/list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
GPU:
PSU:

For good measure.

Solution